1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Silverado Suspension Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rick547, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have a 2009 Chevy 2500HD and the ride is rough. Maybe it is normal since it has been years since I had a 3/4 ton truck. I did add Timbrens on the front last fall and new front shocks this spring. The front shocks are Bilstein 5100s and I have not raised or lowered the front of the truck by adjusting the torsion bars.

What am I missing?

2. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

Timbrens will stiffen the suspension

3. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I thought Timbrens came into play when you carrying the plow. Isn't their some play between the suspension and Timbrens when you are not caring a plow?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If you installed them correctly, there is distance. They only "work" when loaded

5. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Well there is one place to check. I'll see what kind of air gap I have.

Thanks!

6. gassux

gassux Member
    from NY

The 5100's are a very rough ride I would go with a monroe

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Yes, this. Timbrens shouldn't affect your ride at all unless the plow is on. I think maybe you're just not used to a super duty truck yet.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I have no knowledge of this subject, thought I would share.

9. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

To late on that.

I read on here how good Bilstein shocks were. I'm sure I only got great advice.:confused:

10. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Chime inI I'm sure you have some great advice to impart.

Your among friends here.

11. George C

George C Senior Member

I'm not a fan of Timbrens.
    They "absolutely" affect the ride.
    Maybe not on the small bumps that only flex the suspension slightly, and not enough movement to fill the gap between the Timbren and the axle... But when you hit medium to large bumps, they DO make contact and send the jolt directly to you.
    I always thought more suspension protection was better, but I now trust my suspension to do it thing when it's loaded within factory ratings.

Load the rear of your truck and you are in for the worst teeth jarring ride ever.
    In the front, they hit a lot more than what people may think. Take them off, and get your ride back.
    I personally will never waste my ride on them again.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

But when you hit medium to large bumps, they DO make contact and send the jolt directly to you.

if your hitting a bump that hard, theres no way you can tell if its the timbrens, or just that hard of a hit.

13. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I don't notice it on small bumps but medium and large bumps it pretty good clunk.

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

No, I drive a Ford.

Kidding aside, I just wanted to follow and learn

15. tgmc2500

tgmc2500 Junior Member

When I put Timbrens on the front of my '05 2500 I also lifted it with 3" cams and the tech at Timbren told me they are always in contact with the front suspension. After the lift I have a 1" air gap. The truck rides like it is on air bags till I hit a good bump, then I remember it's a 3/4 ton truck. The air ride feeling takes some getting use to, but the truck handles my 1st gen Blizzard 810 with out any bottoming out.

16. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Nothing wrong with a Ford. I worked for GM for 33 years. I just prefer Chevys.

17. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I've had timbrens on my 2004 since 2006,t bars cranked 4 turns and there's no difference to the ride,maybe different for other years though.

18. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'm going to go out in the morning and see how much gap I have between the Timbrens and the frame. Maybe I need to crack the torsion bars up a few turns.

19. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Keep track of how many full or partial turns you make,if you don't like it turn them back before you spend $$ on an alignment.

20. jerzeyguy

jerzeyguy Junior Member
    from 07080

Put a set of rough countries 3 inch keys on it raise it up level it out ride like a Cadillac make sure you get it aligned afterwards