1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

silverado plow lights wire location

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by badbowtie, Nov 25, 2015.

1. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I have a 2003 silverado I am trying to get headlight wired in. I bought the trucklight. I have the marker and turn all wired in and I understand I need to locate the headlight wires before they y to each side but I also want to locate them after the relays. I am not having much luck since they look like they are down under maybe that battery and run down under inter cooler pipe. But can anybody point me to the exact location of were the low beam and high beam wires are easily located. Here is the part of the directions that says how to do it.

They are the trucklight 80888 and the full manual is here.
    http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVkAIBVZWjjYAPQIPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1448506761/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.truck-lite.com%2fwebapp%2fwcs%2fstores%2fservlet%2fGetInstructionPDFCmd%3fstoreId%3d10001%26productId%3d24141%26instructionFilename%3d%2fpdf%2f45338a0.pdf%26productName%3dEconomy%2520Snow%2520Plow%2fATL%2520Lights/RK=0/RS=vUKK7cyriyS_BaL7D6hpAIzDnPg-

4. Starting at the vehicle driver side, find where the high beam wire exits the dash board and trace it until it “Y’s” over to the passenger
    side. Between the “Y” and the dash board, physically cut the high beam wire in half. Starting with the high beam wire attached to
    the headlamp splice the Pink wire from our harness. The high beam wire going back into the dash board, splice the Blue wire from
    our harness.
    Starting at the vehicle driver side again, find where the low beam wire exits the dash board and trace it until it “Y’s” over to the passenger
    side. Between the “Y” and the dash board, physically cut the low beam wire in half. Starting with the low beam wire attached
    to the headlamp splice the Brown wire from our harness. The low beam wire going back into the dash board, splice the White wire
    from our harness. You must physically cut the original power to the vehicle headlamps and splice our harness as stated above. The
    toggle switch will then switch between the vehicle headlamps and the snowplow lamps...you would never want all four lamps on
    together.

2. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

But I am not sure if this will all work anyway know that I think about it do to the daytime running lights that are on normally or will that not matter. Or am I going to have to wire two different relays in some way.

3. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I pulled the fuse block on fender and found the 4 wires that control the low beams and high beams. Which look like come out after the 10 amp fusses. I am not sure how I can tap into them since it has 4 wires not 2 like truck light directions. So I did order 4 relays and sockets just waiting on them to show up but still trying to figure out how to wire all this in.

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Not 100% what you have going on here...

2003 headlights on a chevy have right/ left and hi/ low independence.

Can't you tag behind the headlight plug?

5. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

That is my plan I should have my 4 relays tomorrow I just have to figure out how to wire them to make all this work right.

6. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I see you wanting to tie into truck headlights, but if you don't want to cut'n'splice and keep the circuits separate, you could go off of this diagram. Just a thought, but then it would probably be nice to flash the lights the way they were meant to.

Hi-Lo relay toggle for plow.jpg

7. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I want to soldier everything into the oem wires I am going to tie in under the fuse box under hood. I want to tie into all 4 wires so I can still use headlights like meant to just not sure how to do it yet with 4 relays.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What are you trying to do exactly?

9. J.onathan

J.onathan Junior Member

If you just tap in, your vehicle headlights and plow lights will be on at the same time. I dont think that is something you want. I have just purchased truck-lite plow lights for my rig as well (2006 Sierra) I will be running them off a switch independent of the factory truck headlight wiring.

10. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Are you trying to wire the plow lights into the snow plow harness? Or are you trying to make your own switch over relay harness from truck to plow? What kind of plow do you have?

11. redneckwheelman

redneckwheelman Junior Member
    from harris

also keep in mind that the wires from the fuse box aren't the ones from the headlight switch, the 1999+ chevys are a switched ground with a constant hot, atleast the 99 to 02's are, i, guessing they kept it that way threw 2007 atleast.

12. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I have a meyer plow but I am going to use 4 relays and tap into the 4 wires that come out of the underhood fuse block that go to the headlights. So when I want the plow lights I will flip a toggle switch in cab and the lights will switch to plow lights. Then I will be able to control high and low beams from the column like factory.

13. redneckwheelman

redneckwheelman Junior Member
    from harris

i dont think that itll work that way, the wires from the fuse panel should be a constant hot on these trucks. you need to use the ground wires to the headlights. other wise when you flip your switch to turn the lights from the truck to the plow lights itll go to the plow lights but will be highs and lows on at the same time and no dimmer switch function. if it was a 90s body style chevy then they would be switched power at the fuse block from the dimmer switch and what you want to do would work.
    but grab a test light and check im just assuming that chevy kept them the same when they updated the front end in 03. i know the 99-02 chevy headlights are switched ground

14. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member