1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Silverado HD needs new tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sgrenier24, Oct 9, 2012.

1. sgrenier24

sgrenier24 Junior Member

I have a 2009 silverado HD extended can short bed that is going on its third set of tires in 56,000 miles. The stock Firestone tires were useless in the snow so I switched to the Goodyear duratracs and managed to wear them down to nothing in 20,000 miles. I am lookIng Into the Cooper Discoverer AT3's and wanted to know if anyone has used these and is the 55,000 mile warranty remotely possible? And other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Tire size is 265-70-R17E

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Had 2 sets of the Discoverers on my 3500.Expect 25-30K miles.

3. sgrenier24

sgrenier24 Junior Member

How was the snow performance of the tires?

4. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

I just got a set of those for my chevy 1500, don't know how long they last but they ride nice and are real quiet. I paid just shy of $600 and got a $75 debate at discount tire. 265/75/16

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

First let me say 20k is good for a set of tires when plowing from my experience. I have the Firestones on my truck, yes they are not great in the snow, but have lasted quite a while. The guys that have two sets of tires are the smartest this is why. A tire that is good in snow tends to be narrower, & utilize a softer rubber compound, neither are good for longivity.
    As far as the warranty goes, if you read the fine print, you will see commercial use voids it, having a plow on is commercial use, even if you just did your own drive, I've been there ;(

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

remember tire wear and slippage are directly related......as i learned in my younger years...spining the tires ie dounuts and burn outs have a tendency to wear the tires quicker......i see a lot of people pushing snow without counter balance weight pushing snow and spinning tires at the pile!

7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Bridgestone Revos, got 45000 out of first set .2004 chevy ecsb with a blizzard 810

8. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I've heard good about the AT3's. I just put on a set of the Cooper ST MAXX. Really surprised how quiet they are.

9. jk4718

jk4718 Senior Member

I am on my second set of Michelin ms2's. I absolutely LOVE these tires, even though they are pricey. They ride great on the highway, load range E, and I barely need 4 wheel drive when I plow. The number one key to any tire is rotations. You should rotate monthly to get their full potential. I got 50,000 (although rated for 60k) on my last set, but that was rotating every 4-6 weeks. The tires run about $200 each, but I always talk the tire company into throwing in an oil change with them.

10. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Also, even if they're the same width and compound you can drive all summer on tread that's not good enough for plowing, using up the rest of the tire that you'd otherwise have to replace because winter's coming and you need deep tread.

11. sgrenier24

sgrenier24 Junior Member

Tires on the truck are rotated every 5000 miles and tire pressure checked every week. I pull a trailer every day from spring to late fall then plowing in the winter. The stock tires wore pretty quick but was extremely disappointed in the Goodyears. When new, they were awesome to plow with but took a beating after 3 months of it. I know I am not going to get great tire life out of a E load tire but less than 20,000 and already worn through the wear bars is dissapointing at $280 a tire. I have also heard great things about the Cooper ST maxx. I read the warrant information on Coopers site and saw nothing that I use the truck for that would void the 55,000 mile warranty.

12. springlake

springlake Junior Member
    from ny

bf goodrich all terrains are unstoppable with exceptional wear 30,000 and im currently eyeballing the nitto terra grapplers. but proper inflation, ballast and tire rotation help with tire life. don't forget to minimize tire slippage its bad for the tires, diff, and transmission, but it is fun. good luck

13. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

I've come to the conclusion that spending good money for expensive tires is pointless if you use the vehicle commercially everyday. My trucks pull 5000-12000lbs of trailer everyday during the summer and in the winter they all have bed salters and plows on. I have had Dueler Revos, Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Radial Roovers, and many more all "E" range tires. None ever make it more than 2 years.

They all wear out disappointingly soon, i am now just buying whatever tires are cheap and have decent tread. Nowadays there is so little difference in traction and handling between tires due to computer design that there is no point in spending the money on big name tires.

That is unless your truck is mostly a toy and you are going for the look, if you are i think the Wrangler Duratracs are bad@ss looking.

14. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

OK,but my Yokohamas are much better--still only about 25K miles--Discount Tire is the cheapest--with free shipping it's app. $700 for 4----265's

15. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Picked up my ST MAXX for 770 out the door. (I mounted them myself) E range 265-75-16

16. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Hate the latest MIchelin line ms2's and AT's. NO sidewall strength load E. Have to run them high pressure or you bob around. Superball like compound. They do last but 3/4 ton and light tacoma both dont track well with them. Trucks won't run straight. Any deviation in the pavement and the vehicle veers off. Dangerous as far as I'm concerned. Satisfied with the first 20 tires over the last dozen years, then they change the specs a couple years ago. Probably go with Bridgestone's this season but not sure.

17. Treadwright.

18. DLMINC

DLMINC Junior Member
    from MI

I put a set of at3s on a year ago on my 10 2500 hd crew and got 25k out of them. So much for 55k. I'm also on my 3rd set of tires with 64k on the truck. The truck is at the dealer now getting its 3rd front dif. This truck is a pos.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  19. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

i get 50k out of my BFG rugged trail the they push awesome, almost never slip

20. osborneconst

osborneconst Junior Member

I have the cooper AT3's and have been really happy with them so far I put them on right before winter last year and they did great. I also have a 2500hd and it almost always has a trailer hooked to it, or the plow, or sometimes both. They seem to be holding up decent, but this year has been so busy, I honestly don't know how many miles I have put on them.