1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Silverado 2500hd

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jrodgers, Feb 15, 2001.

1. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Just bought a 2001 Silverado 2500hd with the new Duramax Diesel anyone else have one? If so how do you like it? I,m trying to decide if I want to put a plow on it or not. Its just to pretty now but I know it would kick out some snow!!!!( Tons of power).

2. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

I looked at one hard but went with another Dodge Ram; I had a 1500 and just got a 2500. Liked the Chevy though. Great engine!!

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I saw a C & C at a dealer with the duramax looks very good have not heard one run yet.I was woundering if they will run the dyed fuel if your working of road.I heard that it kills the engine I wounder how true that is.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Jrodgers-my friend got one back in early december2500 excab swb,LT-he loves it.Check your oil,it seems that most of them are delivered 1 quart low on oil,he checked his at 1300 miles and it wasnt on the stick,it needed 1 1/2 to fill it.That truck moves out ,doesnt it?Amazingly quick for a stock diesel.

5. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

jrodgers,

Since you've already bought the truck you may have already answered your own question about the plow. Open the drivers side door and look at the Front Axle rating to see if your truck can hold one.

I looked at a gorgeous 96 F-350 4x4 Diesel (I never buy new and have never bought a diesel. GVFAW was 4800 lbs. Went to my trusty fisher dealer and found out fisher requires a 4800 lbs with gas, 5000 lb front end with diesel.

Now I'm sure at least 5 guys will write in saying "ohhhh that dont matter or B*llsh*t I have a 10-15 ft plow on my 96 diesel" blah blah blah. But any dealer that would knowingly overload a vehicle or mount a plow to a truck that it shouldnt be on is a hazard to anyone on the road, not just the guy driving the truck.

CMerLand

6. John DiMartino

The GM truck all have the same front axle ratings for that configuration,unlike Ford.As long as that truck isnt a crew cab it cn take a plow,but it might squat some in the front end.I see tons of Ford SD deisel excabs with plows-all overweight,dealers are not supposed to install plows on them,but they want the money so they do it anyway.

7. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

I have asked the same question several times here and on other threads; what I am doing (since I have a RAM 2500 with a QC) is being a little causious; I think that the Dodge specs are a little too low and some of the manufactors are a little off also so with installation of two sets of Musle LSE Ballasts and I have the plow backage; if you have a GFVW of over 5200 the plow dealers will sell you anything.

8. John DiMartino

The dodge needs a 5200 lb dana 60,since the Cuimmins engine is so heavy,as is the PSD.The duramax diesel isnt as heavy and that allows them to put plows on their excabs without trouble.I think the dodge is rated to plow with a 700 lb plow on the ram 2500-and 3500 quad cab,the Ford Sd's are not rated to plwo with an excab or crew cab/psd at all,except F450/550.

9. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Timbrens or Muscle LSE's are never a bad idae, even with the one ton.

10. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

I just checked the front gvw and it is 4670lbs so I wonder what I can get. I know that they didnt offer a snow plow prep package for the extra cab but I thought that was because the diesel already came with most of what that constisted of. If I did put one on I would be the only one driving it and I am pretty easy on the trucks when I drive them. And also our snows out here vary so much from year to year some years we dont plow that much at all and some we do(Im on that snow/rain line). So far I like the truck though I only get Chevy so other trucks werent an option.(Just have had good luck with Chevy) Thanks for the replies!!!!

11. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

Most good dealers will tell you the highest level plow; I could call fisher's 800 number if your interested in a fisher; they were very helpfull as well as Western, Boss, and Blizzard; I have spoken to all of them and they were all great to talk to.

12. earth works inc.

earth works inc. Member

Hey JROGERS: I was informed by one of the salesmen
    that we use that the new chevys with the diesels did
    not come with a snow plow prep and if you did install
    a plow on it, then you would void the truck warranty.

I couldnt tell you how true this is but he has been in
    the commercial sales for over 7 years. I told him i
    would be interested in one once they added the package.

Did get to try one out. Pretty nice truck. Got 3 6.5s
    now and cant complain.

13. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Well it says in the owners manual so I guess there has to be some truth to it. Maybe Chevy will come out with one to add on later, until then I guess my 2500 will be plow free. Either that or if something happens after I do put a plow on it I can just pop it off real quick and take it in?????. I wonder if there is a way for them to tell?????.......

14. Plowboy

Plowboy Member

I would go ahead and put a plow on the truck and to hell with the warranty. Even if you had a plow prep if something really bad happened, ie broken axles, toasted tranny, they are going to void your warranty any way. They most likely won't woid your warrenty for having the plow, they will use it as an excuse not to pay for drivetrain and frame repairs. but things not related to the plow, they will probably never say anything about the plow.

If your dealer won't install the plow for you buy the plow and mounts, install the mounts then go pick up the plow at the dealer.

15. John DiMartino

You can get a factory plow prep pkg on the Chevy HD deisel excab,my buddies truck has it,I seen it on his window sticker,when he bought it he told them he was going to plow with it.You cant get a plow prep on a crew cab diesel,but you can get a plow prep on a crew cab 6.0 V8.If the front axle Weight rating on the plow prep excab is the same as the non plow prep ,id put a plow on it,with some load boosters

16. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

Just like any truck; it's based on weight; I would call Chevy directly or check with a local dealer that you trust; I am sure you'll find what you want; I have been told by people in the know at 2 different 5 Star Dodge dealers that the weight issue with quad cabs is the weight of the passengers (I also was told this on the thread) for the most part I could put anything on my truck that I want (within reason) as long as I don't have 5 of my best friends with me.

17. bob

bob PlowSite.com Veteran

On a different forum, a fellow said that he was getting 17.8 mpg with his 2500HD Duramax extended cab.

18. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Yeah they are supposed to be more fuel efficient than the 6.5s 30 or 40% more I think. 300hp with 520ftlbs of torque.They are suprising quick and very quiet.And paired with the Allison trans there are supposed to great for towing and hauling. Mine only has 300 miles so I havent done much with it yet......

19. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I think the amount was 20% more fuel effiecient than the 6.5. Also be care full not to use the tow haul in low traction driving conditions, seems the grade braking feature can lock both rear tires and send you for a loop. I just read an updated article at the
    http://www.6.5-6.5dieselpage.com
    Dino