1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Silverado 2500 Coasting Problem?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jaynen, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

So i test drove a 2009 Silverado 2500 with 6.0l engine. Everything about the truck was great except one thing. When slowing down under 40kph and letting go of the brake it didnt seem to coast well. Almost like an engine brake feel. Is this normal or is it in tow mode or something? Thanks.

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Probably in tow mode.

3. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Tow mode is turned off. Can it get stuck in tow?

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I don't know, but I had that truck and that's what it does in tow mode. I left it on once when not towing and thought something was wrong until I noticed it was in tow mode.

5. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Ya i read somewhere that sometime you turn it on and off but it doesnt turn off. But if you turn the truck off and back on it should be off. So im going to try that next test drive. Thanks for the responses!

6. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

Emergency brakes stuck

7. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Dont think but i will double check that.

8. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

interesting ,my 2007 started doing the same thing .

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

TC not unlocking.

10. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

If you find out what it is please post. Thanks.!

11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I'd bet the e brake is stuck on... how much is the truck? And how many kms? I'd consider selling my 09 if your interested

12. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Its a 09 with 170000kms. I got it for 15000. It seems like its in pretty good shape. Whats your truck like?

13. My 2013 HD does the same thing, it was worse when it was brand new. What kind of tires are you running? A high traction tire will not coast like highway tread tire and fuel mileage will be lower.

14. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Its a pretty aggressive tire. Deffinatly lots of road noise and can feel them when corning. Now that i have had a chance to drive it alot i notice it always in first gear. But its really not that bad.

15. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I did some experimenting. So i am driving and doesnt matter which gear when i let off the gas i coast fine for a second or two then it feels lime an engine brake. Is this decel fuel cut off? How do i know if my truck has this and can i turn it on and off?