1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Silverado 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by finallygot1, Dec 9, 2009.

1. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

I know there has been many posts concerning this but would like some more ideas. I inherited a Meyers 7.5 and finished installing it last night on my short bed, regular cab 2000 Siverado 1500. Well you know the question; the front drops a good amount. My question is should I start with cranking the torsion bars and adding ballast behind the rear wheels, or just order the Timbrens immediately? I am not plowing a lot as of now and will be within a few miles of my garage.

Thanks in advance..........
  2. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Get the timbrens - worth every penny. I plowed for a few years with my 1500 with an 8' Fisher HD. Put timbrens on it, and also used at least 600lbs. of ballast behind and above the rear axle. That thing was a tank. I'm not a fan of cranking the t-bars, but I did end up turning mine up two full turns. My truck was a 94 though, and by the time I started to plow with it the front end was sagging a touch anyway, so it was due for at least a full turn regardless of the plow. All that being said, the timbrens alone were enough to change the way the truck handled the plow. The thing that was nice is that unloaded the timbrens didn't change the ride much at all. Maybe a touch firmer, but not much.
  3. MMSOH99

MMSOH99 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I have the same truck and plow. All i did was add 250lbs of ballast, and with that the truck sit level. I am also in the process of adding the buyers version of timbren, but they require some modification...
    I hope this helps
  4. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

I have seen the Beyers version, how are you thinking on modifying them?
  5. MMSOH99

MMSOH99 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I am going to cut half an inch of the factory stop off so that it will sit back into the cup. i will run a longer bolt from the top of that into the new stop. A homemade timbren
  6. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

up down sag sag sag

just put some good ol air shocks on the front n set where ya want it up down/..monroes gabrials hijackers ....next..
  7. MMSOH99

MMSOH99 Junior Member
    from Ohio

we cant put air shocks on the front of this body style they tear the suspension right out!
  8. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Definitely add ballast, it will help out the front axle, traction, and how level the truck sits. Don't skimp either, 400lb is just like 2 of your buddies in the bed, consider that a starting point. I put a 2x10 in that slot behind the wheel wells and have 8 bags of tube sand back there.

In terms of cranking the torsion bars, you should get an alignment afterwards, but don't be afraid to. I cranked 1.5" to level and pretty much just brought the z-height to the top end of the factory specs. The z-height is the difference in height between the center of the lower control arm bolt and the top of the lower ear of the steering knuckle. Should be between 4.4" and 4.8" according to GM. Based on the looks of mine, nearly all GM 1500s are at the low end or lower from the factory.

I would do both of those before spending the money on timbrens, but timbrens definitely have there followers and will help if you still have a sagging problem after ballast and a little crank. Oh, and I have an 06 RCSB, haven't update my sig yet.