1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Silverado 1500 with custom Meyer 7.5' setup

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by JCByrd24, Dec 13, 2009.

1. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Here is the project I've been working on for the past couple weeks. I had bought this old Meyer ST7.6 for $200 (blade only) last fall to replace an old worn out 6' fisher on my Explorer. Over the summer I bought a Silverado 1500 RCSB and decided the plow would be great on it. Given the prices of the meyer hoop and pushplates I decided to replicate a classic mount on my own to work with the E47 I had on the Explorer. I built 2 front receivers to replace the tow hooks and these come through the tow hook holes in the valence/bumper with no trimming and will stay on the truck full time. The pushplates get bolted to tabs on the bottom of the receivers and then to the frame/crossmember just like fisher plates (this design seemed stronger than the meyer design, which went back to the bottom of the crossmember. The meyer was way too long and the ears on the A-frame were bent so I used the pushbar off the Explorer and modified the a-frame to work. It actually needs some tweaking, I thought I got it "close enough" to level, but there isn't enough slop in the holes and because the meyer angles so much it needs to be perfect. Also need to add lights, a jack stand, and a "yard guard" for the gravel driveway. Also added grease fittings to both the blade and sector side pivot tubes (one of them was frozen and was cut out and replaced during the project) and added a handle on the pivot pins.

I bought a Jet 4x6 bandsaw to do the project and also made use of my press brake/hydraulic press to bend the 4" x 1/4" flat bar for the receivers. All bolts shown are 1/2". Did all the welding with a Miller MM175.

All pics are up, post away.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

400lbs behind the wheelwells

DSCF0599.JPG

3. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Front view and front reciever

DSCF0589.JPG

DSCF0591.JPG

4. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Push plates, reciever bolting, cool old meyer sticker

DSCF0595.JPG

DSCF0596.JPG

DSCF0597.JPG

DSCF0593.JPG

5. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member

I have custom built plow mounts for years now. Bought 4 old Western cable op plows about 10 years ago for 1000.00. Sold one for 1250.00. Have been putting them on various trucks for many years. Its cheap but they work like a charm. So far i have put them on a 75 bronco, F350 4x4 with 8 inches of lift, 99 f250 regular cab 4x4, 91 F450 (FSD) dump truck, and just this last week on an F250 heavy duty 2WD with SRW and flatbed.

6. 85 Toyota 22R

85 Toyota 22R Member
    from IL

Pretty slick buddy, looks good. I never had a correct mount for a truck yet, they have all had to be modified as well.

7. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good, man that trucks frame needs some attention though.

8. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Agreed....next summer the bed is coming off and I will go over the entire frame, just bought it in September and didn't get to it this year. I love the truck but being an 06 it shouldn't need that kind of attention...at least Chevy isn't recalling frames I guess... Black RCSB with 5.3 was what I was looking for, also had snow plow prep and Z71 so a little frame rust wasn't going to stop me.

9. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

frame rust??? where??? most trucks here have more then that sitting on the lot....

mount looks good n stout. don't think you'll have any issues with that

10. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

lol yea the frame lookin like that is verry normal, take it to krown rust or rust check and have them spray it, it will need to be done twice the first year to get it to soak in and then just a touch up every fall after

11. acornish

acornish Senior Member

wow came out good-- im thinking of doing something similar , i bought an old behind bumper mount im gonna use for bottom mnt sect. and upper hump for a topsect for pump-- like the idea of the receiver tubes to take the top off how long are they?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  12. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Love that style truck, rcsb, z71, thats the best 1/2 ton configuration GM makes! Looks like a nice set up!!

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Very nice truck. The plow is unique.

14. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Just happened upon this old thread of mine that has been resurrected. It's that time of year so that plow has gotten a bunch of attention, I will post updated pics. This year I painted all the black parts, added a 3rd spring, added new return stops to give it a more agressive angle of attack (now measures 65-70 degrees like new plows), changed location of control from window mount to more permanent, and tapped into high beam switch to control plow high beam relay along with other wiring touch up. Last thing on the list is a jack stand and repaint E47, never got to it last winter! Also didn't get the bed off this summer, but I did find Fluid Film locally and sprayed it down.

15. plowsomesnow

plowsomesnow Junior Member
    from mn

thanks for digging up your old thread. i have been trying to find some picture of custom mounts with no success untell now. thank you

16. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict