1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Silverado 1500 ext cab 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by HadiCoop, Aug 2, 2016.

1. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Member

Just wondering how many guys here have a 1500 that they plow with and what kinds & sizes of plows do you have on them. I was looking at the hiniker 7' as it only weighs 450lbs. I only plan on doing residential and possibly some very small commercial lots. What are your thoughts? I'm thinking it should be ok...
    Thanks guys

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

7 foot is to small. If your doing anything commercial, I would not go under 8 foot. Beef up the front end.

3. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Member

Ok, that's definitely an option lol, now what about beefing up the front end? What would be needed there...

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Suspension upgrades.

5. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Member

I actually just got off the phone with a hiniker dealer and he said the truck will handle an 8' blade and advises to upgrade to a better shock package and bigger bump stops for the front. Said he could do it for $300 installed. Plow is $6k installed.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Shocks don't hold up weight, yet, some will miss use air shocks.
    buMp stops? or timbrens?

or truing up the torsion bars a few turns.

A 8ft plow can work, as you can still install some wings.
    what is the gvwr? remember you need to add "a counterweight"
    what year truck?
    does it have a tranny cooler,

have you called your insurance agent and told them you wish to plow snow commercially?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Also, a search on front end, and 1500 series trucks in the Chevy forum will give you at least 100 hours of information.

8. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Member

Timbrens, that's what he said. 3950

9. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Member

Timbrens, that's what he said. Don't even know what timbrens are. 3950 is front axle rating. It's a 2008 silverado ext cab LS 4x4 on the floor. Not too sure about a tranny cooler. And I haven't contacted my insurance company yet. But I definitely will.

10. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Member

Ok thanks sawboy

11. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Trans cooler is cheap insurance and can be installed in just a few minutes. Throw some tube sand bags against the tailgate with a 2 x 6 in the vertical slots behind the wheel wells to hold them in place.

12. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Member

How do I know if I have a trans cooler?

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Look in front on the radiator, see if there's a small cooler in front. See if the lines run to the radiator side. That'll tell.ya

14. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Member

So I just checked and right under the hood latch there's what looks to be another very small radiator about 5"h x 10-12"L. I'm assuming that's it! Thanks bud!

15. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Lots of people in my area plow with a GM 1500, almost all of them use a 7.5 Fisher plow.

The truck may have the additional coolers already installed from factory, check with the codes in glove box or ask dealer if one is near by.

I've had 2 half tons years ago (1999 & 2004) both with 7.5 Fishers the only thing done was dealer turned up torsion bars. Handled everything fine, but at that time I was only doing a few driveways.

16. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Member

Ya it's got a tranny cooler on it. I'll probly only be doing residential and maybe 1 or 2 very small commercial lots (4-5 parking spaces). I'll end up getting timbrens and also turning up torsion bars a bit.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Does it have air?

Add some counter weight out back by the talgate to take some weight off of the front.

How much gvwr do you have to be abel to offer your clients salt/ ice melt?

A 7.5 is to narrow for a full size truck.
    Jmo. & and experience .
    a 8.5 is just as heavy as a 7.5 with wings..

18. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Member

As in A/C??

I'll probably end up with a tailgate spreader if they want salt.
    I've got my eyes on an 8' poly hiniker. $6100 installed.

I've been looking for a used plow, but can't find anything but junk! Idk, maybe it's the wrong time of year...

19. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Member

As in A/C??

I've been looking for a used plow, but can't find anything but junk! Idk, maybe it's the wrong time of year...

20. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Member

As in A/C??