1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Silverado 1500 diesel?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JohnDeere2320, Jan 9, 2010.

1. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

So whats the story on a 1996 Silverado 1500 with the 6.5l diesel? I found a low mileage one that looks to be in great shape. Just curious if anyone has had any experience with one or knows something about one. I assume being a half ton it has the 4l60e transmission, but I know the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks with the 6.5 have the 4l80e tranny. If it does have the 4l60e, is the engine derated so as not to over power the weaker tranny?

Thanks for any info. Mike

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting. Never knew it was an option.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Never heard of that. I'm guessing it's really a 2500. I don't think GM has put a diesel in a half ton since the 80's

4. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

Im sure that it is a half ton. This is the first ive heard of one. Kind of cool as I bet it would yield great mileage.

5. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I think it has the 4l80 in it.

6. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

I know GM made a few half tons with the 6.5s in the mid 90s, quite rare and every now and then I will see one around here, dont really know anything about them thought.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Come on Palmer! Everyone knows they put the 6.5 in the half tons. :nod::laughing:

My next door neighbor got a new 1500 with the 6.5t in '95 or '96. Nice truck, excellent fuel mileage.

I have know idea what tranny it had though.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Of course there were 1500's equipped with the 6.5, there just wasn't a ton of them built. Could even get one in an extended cab Z71 if you wanted. Even in a 2 door Tahoe/Yukon if you looked hard enough or ordered one. Every one I've ever seen had the 4L80E behind it but there's claims some Tahoe/Yukons used the 4L60E since towing capacity was rated lower.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have never seen one, so there! But every time I go to like the Autozone looking for a headlight bulb they ask me if my Tahoe has a diesel. I should have known better.......

Maybe I should ask to have that post deleted. While it wasn't sarcastic or derogatory, it was indeed non-factual info ;)

10. cretebaby

Now if you can find a 2 door tahoe with a 6.5t, those are really rare.

:laughing:

11. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

There are quite a few 6.5 1500 GMC/Chevy pick up around here even some Tahoe/Yukons too. Like someone said they get awesome mileage.

12. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

i see them advertised all the time in auto trader mags. but i do't know about the tranny

13. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

seen 1 or 2 of them.

1/2 ton with 700r4 or 4l60-e and 2wd only.

14. Storsy23

Storsy23 Member

my friend has a 97 gmc 1500 with the diesel in it, it is in excellent condition and he has a 7.5 straight blade fisher on it and ive plowed with it and it does a damn good job i keep offering him money for it but he never wants to sell haha yeah im not sure about the tranny tho but i due kno they are pretty much like bud diesel and you cannot do much to em horse power wise but if i found one id buyit in a heart beat

15. Storsy23

Storsy23 Member

bus diesel *

16. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

17. cretebaby

18. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

where in Michigan are you? my buddy just sold his, you might be looking at it, the guy he sold it to seemed a little sketchy, and i think his was a 96

19. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

Im in the lansing area. The truck was in Decatur. The truck was a 96 4x4 and only had 94,000. I called him yesterday to see if it was still for sale but he said he had sold it. Kinda sucks because those trucks are rare especially with that low of miles on it.

20. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

That is a bummer. i go to school at MSU, and helped my buddy sell his in the lansing area here, his had about 120,000 though, still pretty low. he had done a lot of work on the truck and its pretty nice, im kicking myself for not buying it as a driver...i dont know what i was thinking...