1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Silly Wear Pads

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Summitspike, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Summitspike

Summitspike Junior Member

Should I use the wear pads on new plow 9.2 V .I am worried about the puck in the middle.I am not sold on the puck!!!!!! please help a old "western" guy with a new boss out????????????:help:
  2. Hammer

Hammer Junior Member

The primary purpose of the center puck is to prevent the V of the blade from digging in too deep while plowing. I see alot of commmercial plow services that run their BOSS plows without any pucks (shoes).

However, keep in mind that if your blade should ever drop while traveling 50 mph down the road, I think I'd rather have the shoes on the pavement rather than 9 feet of steel. Just think of the costly damage that could occur should the blade get a good bite in the road for example. You could mangle the mount system on the plow or twist something... the list goes on and on. The shoes are adjustable by shifting the spacers from one side of shaft to the other. And a heck of alot cheaper to replace.
  3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I use the center shoe (behind the puck) only. Never had a need for the outer ones.
  4. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

I use all three but keep them up so i clean to pavement. I keep them on because i do some gravel drives.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I only run the center shoe, skid,wear pad too. I have it adjusted about 2 to 3 inches higher than the cutting edge. I find it helps protect the center from damage from pushing over curbs. The other two on the wing are all of the way up.
    The shoes are for plowing gravel or unfrozen gravel.
    As for drooping the plow at highway speed just turn OFF the controller and you will not have to worry about it. But if it does happen the plow will just skip along until you can pick it up.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2006