1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Silly questions that are unanswered...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CJL, Nov 2, 2009.

1. CJL

CJL Junior Member
    from MD

Well Its time to start getting serious about my goal a snow removal business owner. I want to start small (1-2 snowblowers,shovels, doing driveways,sidewalks,walkways) and grow (plow,salt spreader doing residential and commercial) when business and experience allows.
    Based on that,do I even have a chance to be taken serious with blowers and shovels?

When advertising, do I list I would be using blowers or in your opinion would the owner even care as long as the snow is moved?

Do you guys always meet the customers in person for estimates or do you drive by and price it?

When blowing the snow,is there a certain area(street,yard) to throw the snow or is it based on the owners wants?

Is there a respectful time for snow removal? I dont know if it would bother the owners and neighbors hearing snowblowers at 3am.

Does mortgage/real estate companies hire people to remove snow on foreclosed/vacant properties? Or is that just a lawn car thing?

As far as getting paid, when you finished the job and the owners are not home,do you bill the invoice in the mail? What if it snows again and the owners try to say you never showed up? When the owners are home you simply hand them the invoice or do you still bill by mail?

When servicing driveways,sidewalks,walkways and the owners want salt,is there a tool for laying salt or is the simple hand toss method acceptable?

These may seem like common sense questions to many,but I'm the type of person who like to know what to expect.

Thanks to all who takes the time to answer these.

CJL

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

After reading a few of the questions you have I think your best bet would be to contact local snow plow operators and tell them you can do their sidewalks for $_____ . I know for me I hate doing that part of the job and I am sure others do as well. May be a good option for you. Then you dont have to worry about getting new accounts and everything that goes along with that.

Most cities have codes for residential areas for the use of snow blowers and such so you probably would not be able to start them after sun set and before 7am.

3. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Yes, you stand a chance. USM doesn't have plows or shovels to this day

Some customers don't want plows or heavy machinery on their properties, and will seek out only contractors willingly using low impact methods. Most customers don't really care how you do it as long as it doesn't impact them.

Do it both ways but it is always better to meet them in person so that liitle is lost in communication. Sure I'll pay you

Base it on customer wants and common sense. Never aim chute at picture windows or try to blow against the wind. Better to blow far than short

Most respectable time is two minutes before they use the drive. Sure it bothers them at 3AM but unless they are paying you exclusive time only you have a lot of drives to do before 7AM. Somebody is first and somebody is last and a whole lota drives inbetween

4. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

you never heard about the check is in the mail. Before the check gets in the mail, there is a invoice in the mail. You don't have time to make out invoice's in a snow storm. Check out electronic billing for after storms. Get the customers e-mail address and save on postage.

sure google search teaspoons for spreading salt. There is also several types of spreaders but the fastest for you will probably be hand

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Good Luck..

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

By meeting with the customer you will know what they want and when they want it.
    If most of them want out early then you will have to do some way early and that way they will be done by the time they all want out.