1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Silly question re: dumping dirt w/spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kaptain_Kurt, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Ok, this is goofy, but I need about 5 ton of topsoil spread along the sides of my driveway for a planting project this spring. I am wondering if my Vbox would move dirt out of the spreader as well as it does sand? I can just pull off the spinner assembly and let the conveyor dump it out the back as i slowly drive along the edges of the driveway. I would think it would work fine, just wonder if it might not be coarse enough to work well. Shoveling the hopper out by hand sux, as most of you know. What do ya think?

~kaptain

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a really good idea :rolleyes:

Not a clue if it would work :p

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I had thought the same thing a couple years ago when I got my Vbox. Fortunately, I too asked before doing.

The problem with using the Vbox for hauling top soil is "bridging". Being finer and more moist than sand or salt, you're likely to spend most of your time working it down to the drag chain.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  4. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Inadvertently I tried this a few years ago. Dug into a pile of salted sand that was covering a small mound of topsoil. I thought I could just run the stuff out. No dice. The sticky topsoil not only caked to everything, but gummed up the chain. The chain started to ride over the topsoil, and would slice a clear path through without actually moving out of the hopper. Like Mick said, it bridges easily, and worse if you jump in the hopper it gets packed in and will only come out via a shovel.

5. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Hmph, darn. :cry:

thanks for savin' me the heartache.

~Kapt.