1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Silly question on beacon placement

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ramair2k, Jan 8, 2014.

1. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

I just picked up a new Strobes N More E beacon. I plan to use the magnet mount but am not sure where to place the beacon on top of the roof. Toward the front of the truck? Back near the 3rd brake light? Middle of the roof? Does it matter??
  2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

3rd brake light
  3. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Towards the rear, the roof is stronger there
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Center, that way when, not if but when a tree branch or something else catches it you have room for it to slide before it comes off the truck.
  5. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I would rather it slide off the back the back that possiably scratch the roof
  6. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Thanks Guys. Other question I have is do you typically run the cig lighter cord through the window and just dont shut the window all the way so it pinches the cord? Or just shut the door (carefully) on the wire?
  7. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

If you have a door that you do not use, I would think there would be less stress on the wire, and still allow a decent seal if you were to shut the wire in the door you are not using and let the weather seals conform to the wire coming in rather than having a crack in the window or something.

Just my .02
  8. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I put mine through the back slider and close it as tight as possible even with a crack in it I still don't get moisture inside
  9. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

I put my Star 9200SV strobe beacon as close to the center of the roof as I could, then ran the cable in through the top of the passenger door. That door doesn't get opened often. It's been like that about three years, with no apparent ill effects on the cable or the weatherstripping.

Sometimes in really heavy rain, I've noticed water following the cable into the cab. I pull the cable back just enough to make a "drip loop" in the cable (just kind of a half hitch, about 1" around) outside where it goes through the door frame. Water will collect at the bottom of the loop and fall off outside the cab.
  10. Fordman2011

Fordman2011 Member
    from 45356

since we are on the question of the plug, what is the best way to run it if you have a regular cab truck without the sliding rear window? I just got a new speedtech light and really dont want to ruin anything on it