1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Silly question - are the electric pumps always "running", or only if joystick moved?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Jul 17, 2010.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I have a Fisher (Speedcast) hydraulic setup and found a Boss plow pump (Haldex style) for sale. It only has battery +/- connections and hydraulic in/out ports. I'd like to use that and ditch the engine driven pump (SLOW!!!), but i was concerned that the pump would always be on and would burn up. I've had a Fisher SEHP electric before, but don't know if that was always on or not. Make sense?

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

If it's an electric motor driven set up, the motor only runs when raising or angling the blade. Solenoids to provide power to the plow motor are generally installed under the hood, and triggered by the controller. It may be missing from the setup you're looking at, as it's not uncommon for people to leave them on the truck when they remove the plow. Go with a Trombetta Bear solenoid for good reliability and reasonable price.
  3. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I would give anything to get that set-up on my 6.0 powerstroke. I had one on my old 96 7.3. It never let me down in over 14 years of plowing. Yes it was SLOW but i will rather take slow then a bunch of wires and Solenoids and all that other BS.
  4. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

my dad has one that's over 30 yrs old and still works great never had trouble with it. so far it has out lasted 2 trucks now its on 3rd truck :D
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  5. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

i got 2 of them 1 on a 89 chevy 454 4spd 1 ton single rear wheels with a v box spreader and 1 on a 79 blazer back up truck for 3 yrs now still both work slow but good for th years