1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Silly Idea...Spreader practice...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by eng50, Oct 14, 2004.

1. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

We are going to be new to salt spreading this year, at least with a tailgate spreader. This may seem like a silly idea, but we don't want to waste salt learning the spreader and its settings.

Does anyone have an idea of a cheap or free material that can be run through a 2 stage spreader (Western Pro Flo 2) to get practice and set it up right? We will be using Magic Salt and don't want to waste several bags!!

Would sand be somewhat comparable? Or does salt "fly" further?

May seem goofy, but if it makes things go faster, that means more $$$!! payup

Thank you! If you think this is not useful, please disregard and don't flame me.

Bill

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Doesn't seem goofy to me. To get the same effect as Magic-treated salt, try wet sand. I haven't done it, but it seems like it should work.

edit: by "same effect" I meant for going through the spreader.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Bill
    I bought a new tailgate spreader last year and went out to the first job and half filled it with rock salt at 2.99 a bag and set the speed on mid range and salted the lot to get a feel for it.
    I went back latter that day to check on the lot and see how the salt was working. It went great learned some spots had too much,others not quite enough.
    I guess what I'm saying is go buy some rock salt at Home Depot half fill the spreader and go salt a lot and look at the coverage and make some adjustments where you have to.

Regards Mike

4. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I put down some tarps and ran the magic salt through my tailgate spreader. Your not wasting the salt but reg salt is different than maic salt. You don't want to think your spreading right and have problems after you salted. Set it up first the right way using the product you will be using during the storm. IMO

5. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

How is Magic different? Does it spread easier or harder than regular rock salt?
    I have the SnowEx V8000, is there anyone else running Magic through one? Do you have any recommended speeds?

6. totalsnow of ky

totalsnow of ky Junior Member

try kitty litter its cheap and wont burn anything??

7. wls

wls Senior Member

Does any body use melt down in a buyers tailgate? I too am salting for the 1st time this year. What speed of the truck, and about what setting to achive say 20' spread. If anyone uses #1 rock, they can chime in also. :)

8. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Magic is different because its treated with a liquid deicer. Most people say they use about 1/2 the amount they would use with regular rock salt and it works better. There are a lot more benifits but I'm to lazy to type them up. Check out there web site for more info. :waving:

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I understand your thinking. The one thing with salting and only time will teach you is how much to put down. Are you trying to salt out an 1/2" of snow or have you had an ice storm, has the lot been plowed and you are just getting the skiff that has been left behind. Is it early of late in the year where the temperature is around freezing or is it Jan. or Feb. where it is going to be really cold all day. A lot that gets a lot fo traffic will need less salt because the cars will help the melting of an office building where people are parked all day will need salt. It is something that you will learn really quickly. Not a whole lot to worry about. Good luck

10. DJC

DJC Senior Member

people also use cheep bags of cat litter from Wal-Mart. Although I think you get get a bag of #1 rock salt for about the same price. :waving: