1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

silenoid sticking plownot going up on its own

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tonyotpc, Jan 16, 2011.

1. tonyotpc

tonyotpc Junior Member

I have a western unimount 7 foot plow . Just put on my 1992 gmc k1500 4x4. I installed all new wire harness for my truck.New silenoid from western.Plow goes down no problem, going up the silenoid stays open(sticking ).I replaced it again with a new one worked fine for 5 min. then started sticking again . I droped my blade and then it was clicking going back up and had to lift the blade by hand to get it to lift. any ideas what could be wrong ? any imput would br great thanks
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

bad connection or battery causing voltage to drop below solenoid hold voltage.
  3. tonyotpc

tonyotpc Junior Member

Hey thanks , Does it matter what side the power and the plow power side go on the silenoid? The diagram showed the small wire attached to the battery side but plow did not work. So I connected it to the plow side and it worked , for about 5 min. YThen started sticking again.
  4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

check your grounds real good.

yes it does matter how you have it wired.
  5. tonyotpc

tonyotpc Junior Member

Hey thanks for your imputs. It was a bad ground from the battery. Changed out the bolt and it works fine,Thanks again