1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

signs of clutch wear?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cward05, Dec 1, 2004.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

Hey everyone, I have an 83 chevy k10...is there anyway to tell if the clutch is gonna go? That is the one thing I am worried about because I got everything else checked and repaired so I just don't want to get up one morning before school and find out that my clutch is dead...thanks.
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

They rarely just die. If it starting slipping a lot under heavy load that is a clue it is getting weak but GM but pretty generous clutches in those old trucks with 4 speeds.
  3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Most of the time clutches wear out slowly. (under normal day to day driving conditions)
    I have put quite a few miles on slipping clutches, before replacing them.
    They usually start to slip when you get on the gas, after the clutch pedal has been released.

The only way I can think of to catch it early would be to either get under there and look at it, or put the truck into 3rd gear when going up a hill that you would normally be in 2nd gear, and putting the gas pedal to the floor.

If your clutch is starting to slip the engine RPM'S will go way up.
    If your clutch is good then you will just bog down the engine.
  4. Tarkus

A more servere test is to take off hard from a standstill in 3rd and get into throttle real hard as you are letting clutch out fairly quickly. It should grab within a second or two if shes good if it does not she is getting thin.
  5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I wouldn't get into the gas real hard just take it above an idle say about 1500 rpm and let the clutch out in 3rd from a stop. if it slips you will know it and if it don't it may kill the truck. that is good. if you smell it after that then it may be time to look at it. when changing the clutch change the throughout bearing at the same time. This is coman practice as it uasualy wont last through 2 clutches.
  6. Tarkus

Good idea on throwout bearing but you still need to put a little "fuel" behind it to test its "metal"