1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Signs of a bad solenoid for Ultra mount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JeepCreepn01, Feb 17, 2010.

1. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Ok bare with me, we have been plowing for a good 3 days and many days previous to that, 2 days ago while out my plow stopped working, could here clicking undr the hood like usual thats would be the solenoid working correct?
    Well turns out the bolt holding down the poweer cord to the solenoid came alittle loose and kept sparking, well this continued so i just had to keep it tight every few hours

Now this morning 20min ago, i go out to do a drive and my plow wont move, no clicking i go to push in the ram to make sure its not froze, wont go down, go to the cab hit the down to "float" light comes on, try again and i can push it down.

So big question as i have never replaced my solenoid, if i here nothing and plow does not work could this be the problem? its just throwing me off as to it letting the plow go to float.

Need to figure this out ASAP as to more snow coming

My plow is a 7'6 ultramount and is now 4 seasons old:help:

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

First of all Im not gonna "bare with you", its too cold and Im not that kinda guy.:laughing: Okay seriously , if you dont hear your usual standard clicking noise, then you could suspect the solenoid. Ensure you check all battery and electrical connections for tightness. You could jump across the solenoid with a cable to see if the pump motor is activated. Ensure you have a good ground that the solenoid is mounted to. Hopefully some one else more famaliar with that brand get help. Check the site for threads dedicated to your problem. Good Luck.tymusic

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Jeep

Here is a simple test to check you solenoid..Only takes a couple of minutes..Before you check the solenoid, make sure all connections (brown/red, black/orange, battery lead, and grounds) are clean and tight on the solenoid..Also check the wires on the motor, and make sure the grounds are also good on the plow side.

This is for the Ultra

Relay test
    checkSolenoidTest.jpg
    checkSolenoidTestAAAAAAA.jpg

If the directions tell you to go to the next page for the "solenoid control test", this is the test.

Solenoid control test
    checking solenoidIIIIII.jpg
    checking solenoidJJJJJJ.jpg

Let us know what happens

Here is the mechanic's guide for the Ultra. Trouble shooting section start on pg #37
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/27097_061503_web.pdf

checking solenoidIIIIII.jpg

checking solenoidJJJJJJ.jpg

checkSolenoidTest.jpg

checkSolenoidTestAAAAAAA.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I woulld bet it is your solenoid do like augerandblade said jump the solenoid. Take something metal and touch the two big contacts and have somone hit the controller up if it now goes it is your solenoid. The reason it will still go down is that you don't need the motor to turn the pump, just the #2 cartridge to open.
    Since it stil goes down you also know that function still works, and probably isn't the controller, wouldn't hurt to check. Keep us posted.

5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

hey, better job on this post! :)

sounds like the solenoid, pick up 2 when you get the new one so you have a backup in the truck if one goes bad again.

-Jer

6. JeepCreepn01

from Ohio

guess you never saw my response to that last thread, my wife wrote it while i was plowing, she wrote everything wrong and missed about half of what i said...........

So update, waiting for a new solenoid but my plow works, so i'm totally confused now, i have checked everything, i'm just hoping it is the Solenoid starting to go and not something else that i just cant find

7. twinman326

Jeep

Just in case check the grill connector....Wiggle the grill connector (not the battery cable), while your wife is moving the up control button.. If the plow stop working, the grill connector should be clean out, or check for loose pin.. Also you might want to do the same thing to the controller connector..

8. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Yeah, when I clicked the link it was unavailable or something.

I had a solenoid go that was intermittent, it would suddenly stop working, then work again, and even got stuck ON a few times, raised the plow and the motor just kept going when I let go of the joy stick... I had to jump out and pull the plug before the motor got fried. Certainly worth checking the grille plugs like Twin said and hitting them with dielectric grease while you're at it.

-Jer

9. JeepCreepn01

from Ohio

messed with it for hours last night, checked all pins, and hit them with more grease(something i do often anyways) so it has to be the solenoid and of course the only shop around here that carries parts is out of them

10. JeepCreepn01

from Ohio

well go tthe solenoid and wow this thing is HUGE cmpared to the old one, i didnt think it was the right part at first, parts guy said its is suppose to be better and last longer, we will see

11. twinman326

what is the part number and how much did it cost???

12. JeepCreepn01

from Ohio

12$ and some change part 56131k-2 they assured me thats it

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  13. twinman326

yes that the right number and they do cost around that much..