1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

signs in back of truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow Jaw, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

do any of you guys put signs in back of your plow truck?
    like " stay cleaner of plow truck " or do you put a warning light like white lights backing up or something that is flashing as backing up?
    that's something I am thinking about but I dont have a sand box on my truck.
    I have read all the pages about the idiots sure I did LEARN something what needs to be done..

Steve, Snow Jaw.
    Omaha NE
    northman plow on 3/4 ton Dodge.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ne2/larsontrucking/plowsnow.jpg.html

2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I have a back up alarm on my plow truck. Works great!

3. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

signs

Signs assume the people looking at them can read . My on going experience as a public school teacher causes me not to trust signs unless you provide the info in 19 different languages

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

doesnt matter what you do
    people will still get in your way

cardoctor

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I had a guy back right into my truck in a parking lot a couple years ago and I have an 8 stobe whelen bar.But the thing I forgot to mention is that he did not even clear all his windows.Real smart considering that he was moving his car and he knew that was plowing equipment onsite.

6. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

People just do not care about the plow truck and what it's doing. They don't even mind if they hold us up. But dam if we don't get to there house like we are driving fire trucks.

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

SCOTT.............AMEN !.......To your post !

Most knuckleheads will pull right out NO
    matter what !

Ya know if you yell at them, blow the horn, look
    at them wrong, or even give them the fickle
    finger of fate.........
    THEY CALL THE COPS......
    because YOU are harrasing them !

SHEESH !....................geo

OH BOY.....Its snowing at my house !

8. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Probably won't matter anyway because the sign will eventually get covered with snow and road salt in no time.

9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Best effort is what has been said already. Strobes and backup alarms. BTW nice looking old Dodge. We don't see too many guys with Northmans popping up around here either :)

Jay

10. Santo

Santo Banned

IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOUR TOO CLOSE.

11. ROSELAWN

ROSELAWN Member

I am a Fire apparatus operator, I drive fireterucks, and from my experience people don't have a clue what to do when they see all the pretty flashing lights. Defensive driving is the only way to stay safe from other drivers.:)

12. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Sign

I have a STAY BACK 50' sign on the back of the salter I know it doesn't work :angry: but it's there to prove I did everything I could to warn the idiots behind me if theirs ever a lawsuit :gunsfiring:

I have a back up alarm, a STAY BACK sign, strobe light & extra back-up lights on my plow truck. And some driver still don't care :realmad:

On 3 of my large lots I plow the entrance closed till I'm done with half the lot then I plow the the other half.;)

13. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Signage

Hello

While my truck is in the building stage and will not see any contracted work this season, I do plan on some sort of warning on the rear. Not sure what maybe Caution Slow Moving Work Vehicle, Stay Back 200 Feet or Caution Salt Speading in Progress. I will take photos of whatever it is and keep it on file with my insurance papers, maybe ever in the truck for when the day comes, I can say look officer, I had as much warning as possible. It's probley because of working at many jobs were we had to do whatever to reduce our liability. It is a sorry statement for world, when we have to think for the other careless people.

Thanks
    J & B Lawncare

14. Up North

Up North Senior Member

In today's world nobody has time to wait for a plow truck. Don't matter what you do.

Last season I was plowing an insurance co. office and the house right next door was throwing a party. The kids thought they were going to park in the lot I was plowing, and a few had slipped in before I could do anything but I finally got a nice pile all around the cars that slipped in and when others pulled in, they thought twice about parking there. I called the owner of the insurance co. and told him what was going on, he said "GOOD, I'll take the heat if there is any because I've warned them before about parking in my lot." Drove by there the next morning and one car had blasted thru the pile after a little shoveling, the rest were still there until later that day.

I'm normally not a vindictive person, but that really ticked me off.

Buck

15. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

I HAVE WARNING LIGHTS BUT I DONT EVEN USE THEM BEACUSE THERE ARE SO MANY DOUMB ASS PEOPLE OUT THERE THEY DONT GIVE A **** A BOUT US THE PLOW GUYS SO I JUST GAVE UP.

16. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

People Do NOT read signs. I own a car wash and have instructional signs clearly explaining to people where to drive and what to do but they NEVER read them. I'd say strobes and a backup alarm are your best bet.

17. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

uhh, this thread is from 2003. and yes people still dont know how to drive.

18. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

And they'll just get worse as the years go by. They don't care about anyone except themselves. This seems to be the way most people drive today.

19. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I saw how old it was too.

Anyone been watching "Canada's Worst Drivers" on satellite? Funny show, yet so unbelievably painful to watch....

20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran