1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

signing off on plowing ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by smokin4by, Feb 8, 2010.

1. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

we have been approached about plowing a chain of several gas stations and they have an un-usual request...at least for me. each time we plow they want us to go inside the store and have the manager on duty sign off to say we were there.

i do not see this as a big problem if you only had one truck, but to have multiple trucks and drivers or subs doing these properties it just sounds like a huge headache.:dizzy:

i wanted to know if anyone else does this, or has had to do this. chime in if you sub this work out too, as that may be what i end up doing. thanks in advance

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I drop off a service ticket at each store every time I plow or salt.

I also have them sign a copy if they are open.

3. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Nothing unusual about it, and yes, it is a headache -and so is everything else about plowing gas stations. Do a search and read up.

4. RTEnt

RTEnt Member

We plow for one a couple of different clients that require a service ticket when we plow. I just make sure that all of our trucks as well as our subs have some of these service tickets in their trucks. Just make sure to collect them all at the end of the storm. Guys have a tendency to loose stuff like that if you don't stay on top of it.

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Its not a big deal... in terms of liablity, it proves you were or were not there.... I do one and it covers everyones behind as long as you do your job correctly... pain yes, but really not a big deal.....

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Make sure you charge extra for it because it will eat time.

On salting runs it can easily take longer to get the paper signed than it takes to do the job.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

See if they will put up a clipboard so you can do a quick sing in for anyone of your guys who is plowing it at the time.

8. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

thanks for the quick responses. i appreciate it and will see what i can get them work out with us. i like the service slip to drop off each service. i might look into that for our properties that get serviced mulitple times during an event when they are closed.

9. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

I've tried dropping service slips but they don't always end up in the right hands if the store is not open.
    Be sure the manager makes simple arrangements for the collection of the slips,By you placing it an envolope and that all store staff are aware to put in a basket or other secured place when picked up in the morning.
    Myself and the rest of the crew always carry a digital camara and photo every lot upon departure and note the pic # on the triplicate service slip. last year one operator hooked a web cam up to his notebook and recorded everything he did.

10. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

We do 4 hotels from 2 different chains. We go in. The desk clerk puts the notebook on the counter. We sign. 45 seconds. We go and plow the lot.

11. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

You can always supply them with a three ring binder with your logo on it to keep your service slips in so matter who is working the counter they know where to put it. Then when it is time to pay the bills, the store manager ahs something to refer to and doesnt get amnesia about the amount of times you were there. It is really in your best interest. Helps with liability too. As long as you dont get additional non-billable requests every time you walk in!

12. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

Only works if there open 24 hours.

13. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Good point. I am so used to them being 24/7 around here I didnt even consider it!

14. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

I do a 24 hour truck stop and after consulting here with everyone and I just go into the backroom myself and punch the time clock on their time cards. I have my own slot for time cards.(Have several for each piece of equipment). Has worked very well with me and allows me to rub elbows with the staff a little. I will resign them for next year without a doubt.

15. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

Gas Stations

Let me guess these are Speedway Gas Stations. IF so you can thank me for this one. Give me a call and i can explain all the reason's they want this done and it actually is to benifit you as a contractor. (219) 608-4665