1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Signature away from a Xtreme V... What to Do

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Harford13, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Well i've taken into consideration all of the facts and info I've been able to gain from this sight reguarding plow types, and what I need a plow for and I'm a signature away from a Fisher Xtreme V 7'6" steel plow with the Fish Stick for my 2000 F250 that currently has a Meyer ST 7'6" plow with an E47 on it. I'm also looking at the Fisher 500 Salt spreader, I like the fact that the motors are in the box out of the weather, it was between that and the SnowEx 575... Still not sold on the Fisher however I do like it.
    So guys with the 7'6" Xtreme V's what do you think? One of my concerns is wieght, the front axle of my F250 is only rated at 4000lbs, however since I have upgraded leaf springs on the front the dealer has agreed to install the 7'6" V however they won't put an 8'6" plow on my truck, the salesman said it's just going to be to heavy, and we all know that the Fords with the 5.4L are underpowered to begin with. The Dealer is two minutes from my house, VS the BOSS dealer which is 30 minutes away, and I'm sold on the trip edge VS the trip Blade. I tossed around the idea of the Super V2, but I really think I'm done working on Meyer products and while it looks nice, it's a bit heavier than the Fisher and they don't have a history of being good commercial plows. Another concern I have is that you don't see many Fisher plows in my area, it's maily BOSS, Meyer and Western... But I looked the Fisher over and it looks like a rock solid plow. I've never had a tailgate spreader, I've always done my spreading by hand, and pulled a lawn mower style spreader behind my truck to do my salting. My business has proven its self and has grown to the point where it's time to put commercial grade products on her. So thoughts, opinions, should I keep shopping, or am I spending 6k wisely?

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I would never put anything smaller than a 8' Plow on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. The truck will handle the 8'6" plow fine and its a great plow.

3. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i have a 8'6 fisher X-treme V on my 2004 dodge ram 2500 5.7L gas motor and truck handles the weight just fine.

4. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

I want the 8'6" plow, the problem is the dealer won't install it on my truck, and if I buy it and do the install they won't warranty it because it's not recommended by Fisher, even though I clearly have upgraded springs the salesaman said the 8'6" plow will tear the front of the truck up. I am concerned about how narrow the 7'6" will be in V mode, I doubt the snow will clear the tires, and it's only a couple hundred dollars more for the 8'6".. Maybe I can talk to a different salesman but the next Fisher Dealer is an hour and a half away. The Dealer was very nice, and explained everything well and has me convinced that Fisher is a solid plow, and salter, but I do think I will regret not getting the 8'6", however I don't want to overload the front end either... AHHH what to do

5. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

it shouldnt be too much unless your truck is a diesel. thats sounds funny to me.

6. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

It's not a deisel but on the sticker inside the door it says 4000lbs. Everyone is telling me it will handle the weight of the 8'6", I just need to get the dealer to agree to do the install, If I didn't have upgraded leaf springs up front he told me he would only sell me a straight blade b/c of the damn sticker

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You don't have the plow prep on your truck. What did you upgrade your springs to? And how did you upgrade your springs. The heaviest spring ford put on those trucks was the "X" code spring. That would give your truck a 5200 lbs FGAWR. you probably need to upgrade your alternator too. The 5.4 is the lightest engine that ford offered. So actually the 5.4 has more available weight carrying capacity. If you upgraded to the "X" springs your dealer shouldn't really have a problem. I bet they would put that plow on truck with a 5200 front end all day.
    It just occurred to me. Do you have a superduty, or the heavier f150? If you don't have a superduty, forget it the 8.6' IS too big.

8. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

No it's not a 150 it's a F250 Super Duty. I purchased the truck used and the previous owner did construction so he put heavier springs on the truck and it gave the truck about a two inch lift. The problem is I have no way of knowing the type or rating of the springs because I purchased the truck from a dealer, unless you can't tell me if it would be stamped into the spring pack somewhere or if I would know by the number of leafs in the pack. If I could definitively prove to the dealer the spring rating than he will put the 8'6" on it, he looked at the truck and said its obvious the springs aren't stock but if he can't put something in the file stating that the springs are rated for the plow type he won't do it... He just said since he can tell its an upgrade he will let me go with the 7'6" b/c it's the next step up from what's recommended at 4000lbs. Is there a way I can determine the load rating by looking at the spring pack?

9. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

I don't know if it means anything or not but the front pack has six leafs

10. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

Ford used to make a "light-duty" F250, but by the sounds you have the real deal, a Super-Duty. I can't imagine an F250 Super-Duty not being able to handle an 8'6" Xtreme V, if it won't I'd trade it for a real truck.

11. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Yes I'm familiar with the light duty truck, mine is the real F250, and I know it will handle the plow it barely moves with the Meyer I have on it, I just need to find some type of stamping on a leaf spring to get the rating, I talked to ford and they said it should be stamped, I'll have to check tomorrow when it's daylight.

12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

The front pack sound like some sort of lift kit aftermarket springs. The stock spring pack is only 2 springs. You could go to a spring shop and have them put in some aftermarket 6,000 lbs springs which is what the "X" springs from Ford are rated at. To buy the springs from Ford would cost an arm and a leg. Usually those aftermarket springs have decent spring rating. Start google searching lift kits for your truck. You might find the manufacturer of the spring and be able to ask them the spring rating. A 4k front end does sound really light. I thought they only went as low as 4400 lbs. I don't see any problem with a 8'-6" V or even a 8'-6" straight blade on that truck. The difference between the 7'-6" and the 8'-6" is like 50 lbs. That is nothing.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  13. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Well the final numbers are in, let me know if these are reasonable or off the charts, $8800.00 for the 7'6" xtreme V and the Fisher 500 salt spreader with a swing away mount, installed, out the door?? I'll probably end up getting wings for it but I do a lot of long 1/4 mile lanes and greater and have some tight spots so maybe the smaller plow isn't such a bad idea, then I can get the wings for the parking lots.

14. allstarlawncare

allstarlawncare Member

When i am on the fisher site trying to match a plow to your truck the lowest FAGWR is 4400. There is no way that it is a super duty if it only has a 4000 FAGWR. Better look into that. I would never get a v plow smaller than 7.5 ft. It will never clear the tires in scoop mode, they barely clear it when its straight

15. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Your getting ripped off. For $8800 I can get a 7.5 v and polycaster.........plow installled, and a couple hundred away from a full spreader install..

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

I second this. Also, the dealer is breaking the rules by even giving you an XV...it only calls for a 7.6 HD at 4400. Something isn't adding up.

17. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

I agree that something isn't adding up, and I'm begining to believe this salesman is just trying to sell the last V blade in stock, when I told him, and showed him that they are clearly beefed up springs he agreed to put the 7'6" plow on it, I told him I wanted the 8'6" and he said that he's already pushing it because the door sticker reads 4000, and then he told me that because they only order plows a couple times a year he had no idea if any 8'6" plows were on order, and he said that even if he agreed to put the 8'6" plow on my truck he would charge me freight to have it shipped if it wasn't already on it's way. He basically said it's the 7'6" V or a straight blade, So I'm thinking because I really want the Fisher V I can always add the wing kit. (Incorrect line of thought I know)
    I took a closer look at the springs and found a part number, and found out they are Ford springs. I called Ford and was told that with the 4000lb front end there should only be two leafs, when I told him I had six leafs he said the previous owner must have purchased heavier springs, which is why my truck sits a couple inches higher than stock. The kicker is when I gave him the part number off the spring pack he said that he would have no way of knowing what the spring rating was. He said I would need to go around and look at similar model year trucks, match the numbers up and then I could get the weight rating. He said the only thing the numbers on the spring indicate is the make and model of the vehicle, which he said for mine was 99-2000 F250/350. So I've taken a picture of the numbers on my front spring pack and attached them, and I'm hoping somone can help me determine the weight rating of these springs...
    If you can't open the pic it reads
    Ford
    XXXXXXXXX
    YC35AJB
    RPN3029

Spring.jpg

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

The truck will obviously handle the 8.6 despite what the rating turns out to be. Do yourself a favor, and find another dealer. Even if you have to install it yourself, it does NOT void the warranty. That will only happen if you install something wrong and it results in damage. Even then, it's not the life of, rather just that incident. Which is not likely, especially now that the hydraulics come pre assembled and tested. Anyone that tells you differently is full of......you get the idea. I'm actually heading to Baltimore at the end of next week....if I hadn't already booked my flight, we could of come to an arrangement.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  19. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

I just called him and told him if he can't get me the 8'6", or wants to charge me extra for shipping I'll drive to my next closest Fisher Dealer down near DC and have them order me one. This is the last V plow they have and I know this guy is just feeding my BS to clear his inventory. I've attached a pick of the sticker

Sticker1.jpg

Truck2011.jpg

20. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

go on QTE site online order it from them and install it yourself. follow the directions and your warranty will be fine. you shouldn't be able to find a dealer that will install that 8.6V on your truck. But doing it yourself isn't't very hard