1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Signage, Salting Lights, and Route Book

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Grn Mtn, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Here are some pics of my setup. 8" Reflective letters on my blade gets me calls even if its sitting in my front yard. 4" Letters running down the bed of the truck for better 'flag down' visibility. Shovel, Stakes, Snowblower, 1/2 Skid of Salt, Gas, Tool Box, Tire Step all tucked in the bed. 3 lights on the salter for rear visibility and salt spray, Reflective tape on salter to help keep idiots from hitting it. The salt light, the rear facing lights, and the rotating halogens on the roof are all hard wired(with quick disconnects) going to a waterproof box under the bed to continuous duty solenoids powered by 4 gage direct from the battery, these also go to illuminated switches in the dash along with the salt control box. I still need to tweak the in-dash setup but this arrangement is great. Rear vis is no-longer a prob, and now that the rotating halo's are not plugged in to the cigarette lighter, everything runs a lot smoother. I put in a picture of my route book because its very simple but effective. Its easy for someone to cover my route, and easy to keep track of the what, when, etc.

BoxConfiguration.jpg

LetteredPlow.jpg

RouteBook.jpg

SpreaderLights.jpg

SwitchesInDash.jpg

2. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

sweet setup :D

3. tommyo

tommyo Junior Member
    from n.va.

:salute: Looks nice! May have to put number on my blade. Let us know how the numbers hold up after a heavey snow ?

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

nice setup :drinkup:

5. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

Very nice. Looks like you are dialed in.

My co. colors are green and white. Loaded blade tonight for tirp to powdercoater tomorrow. have 5 red westerns. I am thinking about getting it done green. I have one bliz, so if I made them white, they'd match.

But I think I am going to put our logo and phone # on the blades. Looks pretty good. I've been thinking that since I saw Chase's setup on the truck snowblower thread.

6. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Very nice set up and some real good ideas...

7. Grn Mtn

phone number on blade

Thanks for all the great comments, The letters I ordered off the Internet for about $30, 8" black reflective, already to go just peal the backing off and press on, then peal the top off and presto your done. As far as durability, so far so good, hell the Fisher logo is a sticker.

8. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

if you are to worried about them wearing off try sparying a few coats of clear coat on the plow

9. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

VERY NICE SETUP! OH And its a DODGE TOO ! IT's Got a HEMI! SWEEET!
    I really like the Boards On the side of the bed with your Number on it. I might Have to copy That!

10. Grn Mtn

Hard wire the Halo's

The best thing was hard wiring the rotating halo's on the roof, there was too much draw for the cigarette lighter, now I have no probs.

11. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Hey grn mtn.
    I have a 99 dodge ram and I have the same exact amber highlighter mini bar. Its the plug in style. After every once in a while it blows for some odd reason. And its only in the dodge not the ford or chevy. It only draws like 8 amps. I wonder how much the cig outlet is rated for?

12. Grn Mtn

blowing fuse

Good question, I never plowed with my '99 Ram 1500, and my fuse never popped last year when I used the cigarette lighter it just bogged down the whole electrical system. I would check your ground. On the other hand the wire feeding the cig is only like a 18ga, I am now running hardwired with 10 gage.

13. Grn Mtn

need new pict of truck

oops, I forgot to take a picture in the day time, you can't see the truck in any of the picts, as soon as we get above 0 degrees I'll take a daytime pict. Maybe tomorrow.

14. norrod

norrod Senior Member

Nice setup !

What did you use for the salting lights. How about a daylight photo of that light setup?

15. Grn Mtn

The salting lights I bought for $15 a piece at Thru-Way Spring. The business that installed the salter. I am not sure of the brand because they did not come in a box, but they are the same lights they install on the Waste Management Garbage trucks. They are about 6" round sealed lens with black rubber housing. I have better light backing up now than I do forward with my plow lights.

I will post a picture of the truck in the day time, just have not gotten around to it... Tomorrow my wife is giving birth to my third (future employee :p ) son, so maybe in a day or two.

Nice website norrod

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  16. Grn Mtn

Daytime picts and close-ups

Okay, I took some picts after plowing 2" of snow/slush this morning(no baby yet, doct says maybe couple days.)

I included a picture of the weather proof housing located behind the sheet metal in front of the right rear tire, this has the 3 fire truck grade solenoid's and the 4gage power distribution block.

CloseUpSaltLight.jpg

CloseUpSaltLight2.jpg

PowerSolinoidBox.jpg

SaltingLights1.jpg

SaltingLights2.jpg

17. norrod

norrod Senior Member

Thanks for posting those photos of your light setup. I like it!

We wish you and yours the best on your Christmas Baby !

18. blackjack219

blackjack219 Member

that is a sweet setup what do you think of your fisher 1000 spreader, great idea with your number using the stake pockets

19. eaglegrounds

eaglegrounds Member

Very slick set up!

Edit: i did not realize this thread was 5 years old, blackjack you just dug this one up big time.

20. Grn Mtn

yeah that does bring back some good memory's. I loved that set-up, I later even added to it with prowings and lights up front to light up the prowings. I ended up moving the box with the solenoids in it to inside the truck under the rear seat because of water infiltration.

After 5 years plowing and salting with that truck I was at the point that it needed a bunch of expensive repairs to maintain reliability, at the same time a business friend asked if I would run a salt truck and loader for his commercial snow biz so I said yes.