1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sign in Sheets at commercial props.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by battags, Oct 21, 2004.

1. battags

battags Member

I just picked up a number of BP gas stations in my area. A guy that I spoke to last night (in the business for several years) suggested a 'sign in' sheet that I could leave with the clerk.

When I plow, I stop inside and record the temp, amount of snowfall, time, date, followed by my signature and the clerks. I thought that this was a great idea from a liability reduction standpoint. Any of you ever do something like this?

2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

It is a good idea in theory, but when the onwer looks over the records later on, he'll realize how long it takes you, and most likely complain about the price. You should keep a binder with all that info, and if there is a problem, you can provide the owner with the info he needs. That is what I do. My 2 cents, but I think may would agree, too.
  3. battags

battags Member

I keep detailed records for myself in my PDA after every push. I like this idea because the manager will know exactly how many times I was there during a storm, what the conditions were, and that my presence was verified by a clerk working at the time. I always fear the potential lawsuit from a customer of the gas station who may slip and fall on the way into the store. If they sue the gas station, I'm sure I'll be named as well. At least this way I have some type of verificaiton that I performed the service and what the conditons were.

I know it's a double edged sword. I have never had a problem with not providing timely and quality service, though.

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Are these stores open 24hrs.? Will someone be there around the clock? I've got a few BP's along with numerous other gas stations and I have no sign in sheet. If I had to stop in and record, temp., amount of snowfall, etc., I'd pass on them. Just seems like a pain in the ass to me. The only record I keep is when I type up a statement and give it to them to get paid. :nod: