1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sierra's blizzard warnings--holy ****!!

Discussion in 'Weather' started by montanag, Jan 4, 2008.

1. montanag

montanag Member

Anyone watching with interest the predictions for the Sierras? I've seen models predicting 100 mph wind gusts with anywhere from 6 to 10 FEET of snow :eek. Paul Yeager at Accuweather has a few interesting links. I just wanted to say good luck and be careful to anyone on here who operates in these areas. Please post pics when things settle down.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

6-10 feet we had that a couple of years ago,wasn't that big of a deal. The worst part was trying to find a place open for coffee. :realmad:
  3. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

JPMAKO Senior Member

Holy Crap:eek:

If we had that forecast I would be renting at least two big loaders.
    Be Careful

5. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

the most ive plowed was 48 inches, it was horrible, i though i was going to loose my buinsess....

the military was here, plow trucks ive never seen ect

we dint even make all that much money.

5-10 of soft fluffy snow, thats my favorite!!!!
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Except yours wasn't Sierra Cement.
  7. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

Holy crap! Time to rent the biggest loader that's still available, stock up on diesel, and brew up a couple gallons of coffee! Sounds like that's gonna be a looooooong weekend!!!

To all who are out there, stay warm, be safe, and watch out for the #%^$# SUV drivers!
  8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

You're right on here Mark. The Pacific moisture that comes in with these storms is just crazy. Years ago travelling for Sno-Way I got stuck in the Sierras (not a bad place to be stuck by the way) for a couple of days due to extremely heavy snows. Driving conditions were the worst I personally have ever seen. As I remember this was roughly a 3'-4' storm over a couple of days. I can't even imagine 6-10 feet :eek:

To all of you in this area, stay safe.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  9. montanag

montanag Member

One more detail. Certain areas should expect snowfall rates of 6 inches PER HOUR. Any of you have experience with that? The worst I've seen is 3 inches per hour for very intense bursts of 2 hours tops. And this is going to be heavy snow. Sorry to be just in awe, but damn this kind of weather will separate the men from the boys (or ladies from girls) wesport
  10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

could you send 4 inches of that over here?

Have fun, stay safe, and pay your shovelers well!
  11. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Wait a second, this can't possibly happen. Haven't you all heard of Global Warming??LOL:eek:
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  12. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

I heard a report today on the weather channel predicting between 3-5 feet in the Mammoth mountain area of California. I thought they mis-spoke, and when I found out they didn't, I was in awe. Last year we got 15'' of wet snow during a storm in early December, coming down 1-3'' an hour. That was the toughest plow I can remember. Those guys in California, might be plowing 10'' five times. That's hard core.
  13. toby4492

14. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

i click the link and IE shut down
  15. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

well toby got this aswell the instruction at 0x0277418e referenced memory at 0x02a6c878. the memory could not be read click on OK to terminate the program
  16. toby4492

I just tried it again and it works for me. You end up opening the live cam with Windows Media Player. I was just watching a plow truck a second ago.
  17. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

18. toby4492

Somebody else try this. I just checked it again and had no problem. Watched 6 CalTrans trucks running in tandem making a pass less than 3 minutes ago. If it's not working for anyone else I will pull the link.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  19. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Thats amazing. I would never want that much snow. Maybe 6-10 feet a YEAR would be nice. But not in one storm. I imagine plowing companies could go out of business in that. What happens what you can't plow the snow, and everyone with loaders are over booked and theres nothing you can do????

I don't think we've ever gotten that in New England. I could be wrong though.
  20. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

toby which cam were u watching