1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewing plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nsmilligan, Jan 4, 2003.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Had my first true test of the Sidewing plow today.

In a nutshell: the most productive thing I've added to my truck since the V plow.
    Most of my lots it cut the time by 1/3 or more,
    Here's a good example, I plow a Pizza Hut which is on a busy street, normally it takes about 5 swipes backing into traffic to clear the front entrance, with Sidewing 3. Sometimes I have to wait it (seems like an hour) 2-4 minutes for a break in traffic, so there's 6 minutes, at 3 minutes/wait saved 6 min X 30 lots= 3 hours!!
    The Fisher V on front and the Sidewing are a perfect match, I clear a 12' piece of pavement in a single pass!!
    We got about 9" today, and the truck didn't seem to push any harder with the Sidewing down, because it casts the snow to the side, then plowing in the scoop position, and that worked well too, pushed the snow in the scoop position with the sidewing down, next pass was about 4' further then if I didin't have it. As the Fisher is only about 8' wide in the scoop position, I just gained 50% increase in productivity. Piling snow at the end of the run was the same hit the up button going into the bank, except now I hit the up button on the sidewing before backing up.
    It does add about 18" to the right side of the truck, which takes some getting used to.
    It lifts faster then my main plow, in and out are a little slow, but you don't need to retract it backing up.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Congrats on the Sidewing. I've been seriously considering one, but have a couple of questions. Mainly, does it have a trip edge and what happens if the wing hits an object (like a tree). I'd be using it for small tree-lined roads with the ever-present trees and tree roots.:(

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

lets see some pics!:D

4. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I spoke with them...
    got the video....
    Just dont have the extra cash...

5. nsmilligan

The wing is extended with a hydraulic cylinder and it also has a spring inside the tube, first the spring takes some of the abuse, a hard bank, tree etc, for a short distance, and the cylinder like the angle cylinder on a plow has a relief valve that opens at a set pressure which let's the wing collapse. The whole plow trips like a Meyer so if the cutting edge hit a rock the plow trips forward. The nice part you can remove it faster then a Minute Mount, the back cylinder attachs with a standard 2" trailer hitch, and 1 pin in the front, 2 disconnects on the rear cylinder and your away.
    It's a super for roads, 1 pass in each direction, about 20 ' wide, and it likes a bit of speed winging back about 15-20 MPH it will throw snow!

Bill
    I'll post some pics ASAP

6. nsmilligan

Pictures of Sidewing

Herea picture of a walkway at a Pizza Hut that we have to clear, with the wing I can push most of it off with out putting the truck on the walk

plow sidewing 003.jpg

7. nsmilligan

Sidewing pics

This a rural driveway that I do, it's been plowed from the first of the season and the banks were about as high as I could get them with the EZ-V. The Wing is full up, and benching the sidebank. The next pic will show the front of the truck the bank is about 3' high!

plow sidewing 012.jpg

8. nsmilligan

sidewing pic

This is how much snow it's moving!

plow sidewing 013.jpg

9. nsmilligan

Helping open roads for my DOT buddy

The Dodge thinks it's bigger then it is!:waving:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2003
  10. nsmilligan

Here's the picture

I goofed on the previous post

Bill

plow sidewing 014.jpg

11. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

SWEET
    That is truely an awesome setup.

Glad it works so well for ya,
    Mark K

12. nsmilligan

Here's a pic plowing a lot, notice the EZ-V is in the scoop position and I'm piling ( always pile in the scoop), the wing is down, but when I take my next run I'n 3-4 feet further to the right then before, about a 40% increase in productivity. In fact today we got about 6" of new snow and normally my run today would have taken about 12 hours min., I did it in 9. Actually I thought I would have to take the wing off to do a couple of lots with lots ot parked cars, but I found that once I got use to it being there, it didn't make a whole lot of difference. I thought I would leave about 18" more on the left side next to a car, but found I was leaving only about 6" Power mirrors left side turned down on the pplow helped. It has exceeded my expections as what it could do to speed up my plowing bty 2 or 3 times. I think it will become the next big thing to hit the plow business since the V-Plow. I van now clear a 12" piece of pavement at 1/2 the cost of buying a Blizzard power plow, and still have my V.

Bill

plow sidewing 010.jpg

13. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

thats one awesome looking set up

14. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Looks great for sidewalks & windrows.

BTW: your left marker/signal on the plow is out.

15. nsmilligan

Here's another this road usually takes 2 passes downhill then a 3rd coming back up, the area in front is a push-off and the road turns sharp right there, with the wing 1 pass down.

Bill
    Thanks Got Grass a new bulb tomorrow.

plow sidewing 005.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2003
  16. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

your mounting bracket setup looks awful low,do you find any issues with that?other than that it looks like a nice unit,good luck with it.

17. nsmilligan

No, when I first installed it I had a 6" drop hitch in the receiver, which I thought would be too low so I changed to a standard hitch, and it hasn't been any problem. ( haven't hit anything with it yet, and I haven't been aware of it hitting anything while plowing)

Bill

18. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

How about a pic of how it mounts to the thing in the bed. I guess that's what is lifting it?

Also where do I get info on this?

19. fordman

fordman Senior Member

nsmilligan

Awsome ride man. It doesn't get much better then that, a V plow and a side wing.:D :D :D

20. Shaper

Shaper Junior Member

Here's a site to check out a wing plow made for 1tons.
    www.hpfairfield.com I ran one of these wings for 5 years doing 7 miles of roads in a private subdivision. Its a very durable unit, basically a mini version of the big boys