1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sideway plow for a private road

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Ricks, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Ricks

Ricks Junior Member
    from Maine

I am still working on what to use to clear my 1/2 mile private road. I have located someone who has one of those small tracked vehicles with a plow. This is the type of vehicle towns used to clear sidewalks. What is the feeling of using this to clear the road. I understand I will have to make several passes, but I was wondering if I could put a large plow on it.

Please give me your opinions.

thanks

Rick.........

2. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

I would check out a Polaris Ranger. With a plow they are prrretty nice. Plus you could use it for lawn work in the summer.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

In simple terms- no. It will only take a slightly larger plow- maybe a foot larger but the whole situation will be very ineffecient. About the same as a lawn tractor- but Probabily worse on gas.

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

If I recall correctly, in your previous post one of the problems with the most recent contractor was keeping the bankings back and maintaining a decent travel width to the road. A sidewalk tractor is not going to be very fast (ground speed - not talking productivity here) and speed for dispersing the snow off to the side is key here.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

In addition to what wfd44 said, after the first couple of pushes, you'll need to be able to "roll" the snow up and over the existing bank. For that, you'll need a bigger plow. Like a 7.5' or 8' on a pickup. Maybe a 6' on an S10 or Ranger, although I've never seen one to know how it works.

6. Ricks

Ricks Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the replies. At this point I have narrowed my search down to a 3/4 ton truck or a tractor with a loader on the front and a blower on the back. The price or how much I spend will be the limiting factor.

thanks again.

7. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

I have a 1994 F-250 XLT,reg. cab, 8' box,Dark green, 8cyl., gas, with an 8' Fisher, 30,000 miles, truck looks and runs great, but has a lot of rust underneath. $3,800.00 or best offer!
    This will push the snow back well, and you'll be comfortable doing it.

8. Ricks

Ricks Junior Member
    from Maine

I may be interested in that truck. Can you supply some pictures. Why so few miles, but you state lots of rust? Is the truck road worthy? Please supply more information.

9. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

I will get you pics in a day or two. The truck has a current Mass. inspection, and I drive it daily, The front gas tank was replaced, but now the rear tank is leaking near the top. The truck plowed residential drives for most of it's life, never got to see the inside of a car wash (under body wash) I bought it a year ago and want to upgrade to a much newer Chevy 2500, with a Snoway V plow.

10. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

1994 Ford F-250

Ricks,
    Send me an e-mail with your e-mail address, I will send you a group of pics and a more complete description on the truck.
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you, the starter went, so I had a new/re-built installed (boy, oh boy, NOTHING is cheap anymore!!!!!)
    I will also probable post pics in the used equipment forum, later tonight.

11. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

Just a tease!
    and , Yes, I do have a Yellow Lab!!

Mileage 31,321.JPG

12. Ricks

Ricks Junior Member
    from Maine

Tessdad,

I am sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I was in the hospital for a week. Your truck looks great; I saw the pictures in the for sale forum. Between my tax bill and the stay in the hospital, I need to put off purchasing a truck for several months. Thanks for your understanding and good luck selling your truck.

Rick.......

13. NEHawaiian

NEHawaiian Member
    from CT

For a half mile road I would personally use a V plow in that situation. Because it cuts into the snow easier and if you need to stack snow you have the ability to do it. You could do it with a straight blade but due to the length I would still go with a v plow. :dizzy: