1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by joeco129, Nov 29, 2007.

1. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

I've got a quote to give for a driveway that's 12' X 40... plus a few sidewalks totaling 250 linear feet. No blower... I'd be shoveling... Sidewalks are 2' wide... She told me the guy she had last year did it all for $35.00, and another guy a few years back was all for $30.00.

I just can't see $35.00... With fuel prices $35 would cover just the driveway...

Any thoughts?
  2. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

Stay warm and dry and ask what happened to last years guy?
  3. cod8825

cod8825 Member

Like fordzilla1155 stated that is the first thing I would ask why aren't you using him again this year.

We have some residential and we charge $50 to start for your basic driveway but we package are sales and we sell them pretty easy here. We plow, then shovel out sidewalks and put ice melt down after were done. Takes about fifteen minutes but how we can get away with it is that we garuantee are work in that it will be done by 7am or 5pm or its free.

In the contract we state start times for snow and what that does to start times. I hope it helps.
  4. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

how do u determn what ur gonna charge on sidewalks
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Ways to calculate I have heard.

Hourly rate = Figure your cost per hour and shovel the drive. Some charge as much as they do for the truck. I don't see that because the truck is much more productive. But they don't want to get out of the truck for less than they can make in the truck.
    Linear Foot Cost = measure the length and X by a set cost. I have heard anywhere from $.03 - $.20 for a foot. This method works good if you are using equipment because you can move at a decent rate to make your money. As an example a 100 foot sidewalk would only pay $10 at $.10 a foot, but with a quad you can be done with it in a minute. And that is $60 an hour. This method really works the best if you are plowing miles of sidewalks with equipment.

By the inch = different depths get a different cost. This really should only apply to shoveling. Any sidewalk equipment (snow blower or quad or skid steer) can handle any depth. And if you are shoveling, it will take you longer so there is no reason to go higher on the hourly rate for more snow. In my opinion, why should the customer pay if you don't have the equipment.

Base price = just figure out what you need to make and charge it.

If you carry a shoveler with you (or you are the shoveler & not the driver) then that person is out doing the walks while the other is plowing the drive. Should get done at the same time depending on the equipment and walk. If this is the case you can go as low as the hourly rate for the shoveler divided by how long it takes. Shoveler gets $10/hr, 15 minutes of work = $2.50 should be added to the total plowing cost.