1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Hey, I'm going to give an estimate to an apartment owner tomorrow. He wants me just to do the side walks. I don't do plowing yet, just snowblowing. I have a guy working for me. I looked at them a little bit today, but it was dark, so I'm gonna go back tomorrow. The job could take up to an hour each time to do, but I think that it will take a little less. But anyway, how would I go about pricing this? I pay my worker 10/hr. I'm thinking it will be about $45-60 per time. Does this sound unreasonable?
  2. Brant'sLawnCare

Ok, I went and looked at the job. There is about 500 ft. of sidewalk. I'm thinking somewhere between 80-120 each time. Does this sound about right to anyone?
  3. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

well, shovelers around my neck of the woods get 15/hr
  4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

My shovelers are $10 per hour and drivers are more than that. I pay for everyone's food when they're working also. I dont just do sidewalks so....if I was to charge for that it would probably be atleast $80 if not more to make it worth my while.
  5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Sidewalks are a pain but it is a place to get started. But we do them cuz we are there and we do get paid for them and I have a crew of hand guys to do that work unless its just a few mins work for the driver (gives them a few mins of wake up and blood pumping) but we have a minimum, each time guy gets out of truck half hour 15 min work 3/4 hour charge and so on but we charge 30 per hour and have never had a question about price. Also they take plenty of breaks that we charge for. Who else is going to work there butt off in minus temps. I pay my guys almost all of that to get them out of a warm bed in the middle of the nite and they love it and i use them for other jobs loading an unloading salt.Hope that helps ya price them ....
  6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i charge $.65 per linear foot with up to 5'wide walk that includes salt (not chloride) Chloride is an extra $.10 is that a straight enough answer let me know if i can help
  7. Brant'sLawnCare

I don't know what a linear foot is, but if I multiply $.65 by 500, that comes out to $325, I don't think he's gonna pay that much for snow removal. Did I do the math right?
  8. Brant'sLawnCare

Thanks, for the help. I only have about 5 jobs so far this winter, so I want the job. I'm gonna bid around $80.
  9. powerjoke

yeah you did the math right, it sounds kinda high but that is what i charge and i get every walk i bid, if you are willing to work for $10 and hour you get get a STEADY side job at McDonald's for that you might even be warmer and not work as hard! i wonder what you have figured for a blower if you need one, i can dang near gurantee you get the job for $80 and at that price i would put NOTHING on paper just incase you cant do it for that you can just walk off the job or ask for a little more, i wish you the best of luck and i hope you don't leave alot of money on the table
  10. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

i would bid more.. i know u want the job but maybe u should do it in contract form, add price for calcium or if there is a small amount of snow maybe u just go out a apply product. u also have to think what if there are drifts. thats goin to take a little longer. are any walks close to parking lots or drives bec when they get plowed the piles might be over your walks..

i would rethink ur price..

your time ...and ur back.. theres a cost to that

think about the contract and dont work for free
  11. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

In have a condo site Im bidding. Has 2500 feet of pathways for walkiing behind buildings around a pond etc etc that they want a seperate price for.

You'd bid the sidewalk and salt at 1625.00? an event?

Sorry......maybe that works for 30 foot front walks on a resi for Mrs. Smith but that wouldnt fly 3 inches in the commercial arena.
  12. Brant'sLawnCare

I bid the job at $65 each time uner 10 inches, with a salting charge of $25 each time, and if I have to come a second time, it will cost 40$ each time I come back. For under 1 inch, I will use salt only. I thought about bidding 80, but then I figured that in my area, it would be hard to get that much. I may have made a mistake, but that's what this is all about right? In my area, I have hard enough time getting people to pay 25/time for snowblowing. Thanks guys.
  13. powerjoke

Not sure what the LOL was for and to answer your Q' yes that is what i charge and i do not do sidewalk for residential unless i am there (I meaning my help) plowing,we do about 50/50 some hour and some by the foot we probably make more money by the hour and we do about a mile and a half for wal-mart and a couple of other shopping center's,which i have had the same contracts for year and i havent lost one (knock on wood) nor have i bid one and have not got

Just curios what would you charge for a 24/7 operation with one store having 2500' of sidewalk using 3 guys a snowblower and a $40,000+ toolcat and yes a bobcat toolcat cost over $40,000 maybe if you are using a, and i quote"Toro CCR Single Stage is the ONLY snoblower you should ever buy and will ever need.I still cant figure out why anyone buys a two stage unit anymore." you might get by with it BUT!!!! who am i to argue i'm the one that is charging and historicly making $.65 per linear foot INCLUDING SALT, you dont have to agree with everything that someone else says but when the guy asked for help i gave him my opinon instead of bashing another guy just because he's charging more than me

Sorry for the rant but that for some reason just pi$$ed me off

what do you charge for the 2500' of "pathways" you clean with your singlestage snow blower and how much other work do you have is this your only job or is there many others (seriously i am not trying to start an argument)
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I was waiting for your response Powerjoke. LOL. It was good.
  15. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Yes I can clear a half mile of 36 inch walks with a toro CCR, and have many times.

If you need a 40,000 dollar toy to do it thats fine. Charge up the wazoo.

But dont expect me or anyone else here to believe that when you do a walmarts sidewalks that are 1.5 miles, that you get paid $5148.00

You're doing a dis service to the original poster telling him that.
  16. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

And I bid the 2500 feet of walks at ....well heres the wording from the bid.

$150.00 (up to 6”) and $ 225.00 (over 6” to 9”) and $ 300.00 (Over 9” to 12”) Calcium Chloride (Ice Control) for the pathway would be $ 75.00 each application.

If I bid them at .65 a foot that would be $1625.00

If I could do walks for .65 a foot Id sell my truck and plow... tonite.
  17. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

this is tense
  18. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Im not tense whatsoever,

Just dispelling "Misinformation"

He can get as upset as he'de like too.

Let me ask Power. Did you mean to type that you charge .065? and not .65?

.065 I can see. As a matter of fact thats a little above but close to what I charge.

19. powerjoke

Snowpower so far you have been here less than one month and already have 55post and from what i have read of yours they have all been argumentative. So rather than start a fight i will back out because this is way off topic and you can beleive what ever you want to beleive I DON"T CARE but i am not trying to defend or prove myself to some guy that only equip is a CCR (you are not a machinery operator) so are you saying i am Lazy because we use a toolcat and Overpaid because i charge too much LOPOA maybe? LOL
    i forgot to add that some is by the hour (wal-mart) and others is by the foot (other shopping centers) that is not open 24/7

Is anybody else with me

P.S. do you charge for PLOW STAKES?
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  20. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I said $80.00 for me as a minimum....if I was in the area and it didnt need to be done till later in the day. And that $80 is me being nice to a valued customer. Joe Blow calls me and wants this done, by 7AM, on the opposite side of town that we're working.....well, looks about like $140. :rolleyes: Honestly, I would tell them i'm not interested but....And I dont charge for plow stakes, but I dont put them in. You want stakes, you pay for 'em and put them in!