1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vis, Jan 5, 2006.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

My crews usually take 3-5 hours on their routes for sidewalk clearing depending on the type of snow and depth.

They are armed with shovels of their choice, and 500 lbs of icemelt and 1 pickup truck.

we have tried snowblowers, but it seems to only be worth it on 6inch or more storms, because loading and unloading can be a hassle with planks + ice.

Considering the loading and unloading, do you guys think that the use of a walkbehind mower (exmark TT 19 HP) with a plow would reduce the time and fatigue of the crews?

The accounts include condos, some of which each driveway must be shoveled into the road for the plow to get, and each other stop range from 10 mins of shoveling and salting for 3 guys, to 1.5 hrs with 3 guys, including sanding of walks.

is it worth it to add a snowplow of some type to these crews?

Any past experiences? I know that it will be faster than manual shoveling, but i cant justify the extra time loading and unloading the machine at each stop for a 3 inch storm.....i dont know maybe im crazy :dizzy:
  2. JTW

JTW Senior Member

The only way I see that it would be worth it is if the stops are all close together and they can walk the machine to each one. Or if you have a small trailer with a loading gate to put it on and tow behind the truck.
  3. Pusher Joe

Pusher Joe Junior Member

here is an idea if the places are close. 420 kubota can do all your strait walks and carry a salter.
  4. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

how well do trailers handle in snow? looks to me like the truck will turn one way and the trailer will do its own thing in the middle of a storm.

No way they could drive a WB from acc to acc, need to load it up for many of them :realmad:
  5. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

A wb isint very productive in clearing snow. I would suggest investing in an ATV with a plow, they are quick and can clear alot of snow. They can load on a truck or trailer. For light snow (dry under 2") you could use bp blowers....
  6. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Get yourself two Toro singlestage 3.5 hp snow throwers. They are so easy to unload at 38 pounds that reaching over the box side for the shovel is not that much different. You can not beat them for sidewalks. They also blow snow an easy 10-15 feet.
  7. addicted

addicted Senior Member

Amen brotha! Took the words right out of my mouth. The single stage is great for anything under 4 or 5 inces, as ling as it's not too wet.
  8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

All of my trucks carry a single stage blower, just for the walks. No ramps, just lift in and out of the truck.

After the commercial is done 2 guys will hook up in one truck with 2 blowers and knock out the residential route...
  9. ACA Landscaping

ACA Landscaping Member

don't know if anyone else has tried them but we use powerbroom's. they take no room work faster than any thrower/ blower i've ever tried if snow is under 6 or so inches.
  10. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

I only have a couple of stops that I have to do walks, and only one that I have to salt too. But where I do have to do walks, they are long ones, and double wide. I usually have just about as much time doing walks as plowing. I use a Toro single stage, I believe model 3650. It is easy to load/unload by lifting in and out, and I just throw some motorcycle straps on it to keep it from bouncing/sliding around. The only time I use a shovel, is for the 2-3" pushes of nice and light fluffy stuff. The Toro really cuts down my time, and my back pains!
  11. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I know GrnMtn has a Toro single stage with the rubber flaps.. The thing is light! Runs great and scrapes right down to the concrete/asphalt. We run the larger Ariens and really only take them out of the trucks when there is a 6"+ snowfall..
  12. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The smaller throwers are the answer. Whether they be the ones with paddles, or the ones with augers, the smaller ones are the way to go for most snows. Now, if you DO have some larger places that have some pretty long strips of walk, a quad with a blade it the way to go. There is just nothing faster...plain and simple. You have to have alot of walk to justify trailering (or hauling) something like that out there, though.
  13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Seven facts on Single Stage Snow Blowers

Yep, I like mine. Here is why:
    1. Rubber auger clears down to bare concrete, without damaging the surface.
    2. Very little salt is needed for the now bare concrete.
    3. Speed is controlled by lifting unit up onto its spinning augers--the more you lift up the FASTER you go, and I mean fast.
    4. The gas-oil mix allows for easy pull starts even in below zero temps.
    5. 1/2 the cost of a 2 stage blower (mine was $549)
    6. Light enough to put in the truck without ramps.
    7. Light snow will throw 30', heavy wet snow about 5'-8'.
  14. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

What type of powerbroom are you talking about? We just purchased a powerbroom for the front of the atv. We have yet to use it, but would like to hear feedback with any type of power broom.
  15. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

What brand and model of single stage would ppl reccomend?
  16. ACA Landscaping

ACA Landscaping Member

hey dodgeblizzard , we have husquarna clean sweep's but there commonly called power brooms. we use them on all our office complexes and they save a whole bunch of time. as fast as you can walk it will throw it. there just a weedeater with the power broom attach. on them so there easy to carrie around. here's a link to the clean sweep

husky clean sweep 1.gif
  17. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I man up on the man power and buy them the RIGHT shovels. The RIGHT shovels are everything when thats all they have to worry about. 9 Shovelers go out for me everytime the snow flys. The more the merrier. They all try to compete with themselves to see who is faster and stronger and who can move more snow, and me, the company, wins every time :)
  18. rgjlawn

rgjlawn Member

This is the ticket for walks or ddrives and streets. We do 300.00 per hours with this deal.:yow!: :gunsfiring: :dizzy: :

19. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Toro 3650

have 2 snowthrowers one for each truck. bungeed to the front of the truck box. lifts off the truck in about 20 secs. 78 pounds. Starts easily if the fuel is kept fresh clean and dry. other than that same as noted above
  20. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I did my research on here before purchasing a Toro ....the 75 pound model. I got the one with electric start because that's all they had and I wanted one right away, but with Toro, it's a waste of money because it always starts on the first or second pull. Only the second when It's first started for the day or when I forget to choke it. Otherwise first pull. Great machine