1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Plowfast9957, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

What do you guys use to sand/salt sidewalks? spread by hand, use a walk-behind spreader. Just wondering what worked for you.
  2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Used to do it by hand. Went out and bout a Scott's 2000 spreader (whopping 24 bucks). It makes it aLOT faster and easier. If you're any considerable amount of walks at once, I would recommend a bogger spreader, though. This one holds about 50# of material.
  3. Agri-Fab 125 pro!! We spread Magic Salt no problem. It has a sidewalk deflector thats works awesome. We pretreated yesterday before the snow and the 1.5" never stuck. But yeah its a good spreader. It holds 125lbs.
  4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

On our wide walks we spread the calcium by a spreader but on an average walk we use 5 gallon buckets and do it buy hand or you waste more on the grass than you do on the sidewalk
  5. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We used to buy new spreaders for about $65.00, but now we ALWAYS pick up used ones at flea markets and garage sales all Summer long. We pay $5.00 each for them. We must have bought at least 10 this year alone. We take them apart and service them, and even if we get another two years out of them we can't loose! Wouldn't ever buy a new one again! :nod:

Yeah, Yeah, I guess we are CHEAP! payup
  6. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

:waving: NJ I wouldn't call it cheap, Thrifty maybe. I do the same thing. I've even got some buddies that do lawn care that dn't plow that when their down with the spreader they five it to me for parts and whatever I need. Funny? they called me a cheap Pr--k too? When I'm feeling lazy not to haul the spreader out of the truck, I'll spread by hand with a scoop or a hand spreader. :redbounce

PaleRider :gunsfiring: