1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by spacolee, Sep 24, 2005.

1. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

I don't known if anyone has this prob,but when I plow snow on parking lots the property managers want me to hug the side walks, when I do this my plow ends up kicking up snow on the sidewalk.The sidewalk has a 4'' lip that the plow rides on. Anyone out there have any ideas :confused:

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We find that if you make your first pass about 3-4' away from the sidewalk, then go back and run along the edge of the sidewalk it is easier for the snow to go in the cleared spot then up on the side walk.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

damage to the curbs

I found out that constantly running down the sidewalk does a number on your plow and the curb itself. This winter I'm just going to get close and since I already clear the walks I'll let the snow blower do the edge cleaning. I've also thought about the curb helpers I've seen for sale, anyone try those? My one prob with the curb helpers is that I plan on putting the prowings on, I don't believe you can hav both. :dizzy:

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I've run "curb helpers" in the past on my Diamond plows.

They work, but you'll still leave snow along the curb somewhat.

Truthfully, the only way you're going to get 99% of the snow away from the curb and sidewalk is to do the sidewalk first, then take the snowblower and run it around the sidewalk and blow off about 1-2' of parking lot, to give your plow that buffer zone.

Another thing that MIGHT work for you, is to drop your plow on the sidewalk and backdrag the snow off, and ease off the edge so your plow wants to scrape down the side of the curb.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I run a relief pass about half of the plows width away from any curbs then start my normal runs. Then two or three passes later I go back to the curb and angle it a little towards the right (towards the rest of the lot) and continue on the normanl runs. The snow now has somewhere to go other than spilling over onto sidewalks.

6. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I do the same. My first pass is about 2 feet away from the walk. then I clean whats left later. Usually I have 2 -4 ATV's running with my pickup so the walks are always clean ahead. Usually they make about 2 passes out away from the walk for me ahead of time. There is nothing I hate worse than bouncing my plow off the curb for about a block to try to do a really clean job.

7. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

Thanks eveyone, Iam going to try it this winter.

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I do the same thing, works great over here..

9. Grn Mtn

Thanks for the reply, but I wasn't concerned about snow left behind, just beating the heck out of my plow and the curb

10. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

thats were a skid comes in handy. :waving:

11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

They'll still leave a little "scratch" in the curve of a curb, but you'll never touch the side of your plow.

12. Grn Mtn

cool, thanks.