1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Dec 27, 2004.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

For those who clear sidewalks for residential customers.....

Most of my customers want me to shovel their walks for them. I have an old murray snowblower that works great for clearing the walks but is a little noisy as its getting quite old.

Last night I did not start plowing till 930 PM and felt that using the snowblower would probably upset some of my customers due to the noise. So I decided I would shovel the walks for courtesy to my customers.

What do you guys do for clearing walks early in the morning or later at night? Do you just plow the drive and come back at a later time for the walks. Not sure what to do...but I do know that shoveling walks really blows!! :nod: Thanks.

John

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I clearly explain to my customers that most snow removal is done at night. If they want their walks done, they will be done when I get there no matter what time it is. No complaints so far.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Walkways are too much work. I have a $50,000 truck sitting in the driveway while I use the $15 shovel. Most walks take as long as the driveway so when I tell them it is double if they want the walk done, they seem to have the energy to do the walks themselves.

4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i also didnt want to wake people up so i started to shovel. after about 5 minutes of shoveling 4" of heavy wet snow i went to my truck, put the shovel back and un loaded my snowblower. 5 minutes later i had finished the walks. so far no complaints at all.
    people should under stand that snow removal happens at night like Boss said.

5. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

In an odd way, I this that it is kind of nice when they wake up a 4:00 am to the sound of a snowblower. Letting them know that some one is out there (freezing) taking care of them. Doing the work so that they don't have too, allowing them to continue laying in the nice warm bed :sleeping: . Kind of comforting in some way :rolleyes:

6. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

If I'm up and clearing their walks, they're up too!! They even pay EXTRA to hear the hand held blower at 3 AM. Some have even commented that they like knowing that they can get out when they have to go to work. And the world continues to revolve!!!!

7. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

I have to agree.

8. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with all of you....But, I should have directed my question somewhat better....

What about all of their neighbors, has anyone ever had their neighbors complain. I have some friends who have been questioned by the police for noise ordinances.

Im just going to fire up the snowblower next time and take my chances! Thanks for all of your replies.

John

9. mickman

mickman Senior Member

That's a good point. But then ''those people" are just pissed because they can't afford the service, and have to drag they're lazy warm ass outside
    and get cold and wet.........waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

10. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

11. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

A picture's worth a thousand words, huh? Bolens? :salute:

12. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Yep, I use it for my sidewalks. I don't care if it's noisy, if they want sidewalks plowed, I use it. I've used tractors without a muffler before, no complaints.

13. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We subscribe to the other side of the coin...we park the trucks with the strobes on and unload and use the blowers. We make all kinds of noise, and when neighbors look out the window they see our name and number on the trucks. They usually call us the next day so that we can do their walks when we do their neighbors! payup

14. earthwerks

earthwerks Junior Member

Around here most guys use ATV's to do sidewalks. Me--I refuse to do them--nobody wants to pay for that extra service and when I tell them residential service goes for $75 an hour and $100 for commercial they say they'll do their own. I agree with the guy and the $50,000 truck. I'm 42 and those days of getting out of the truck to do anything by hand is many years bye-bye.
    Plus I'm not about to expsose myself to lawsuits because the sidewalk wasn't cleared like they thought it should have been (slip and fall). That's the same reason I don't salt; my insurance agent told me that if they hear that I am even thinking about salting my liablilty insurance premium will double. In Michigan basically the law is that whoever (contractor, business- or home-owner) puts down the final step of eliminating the danger from snow or ice they basically "own" the liability to it. Just ain't worth it to me.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

We do the same, works great at getting more customers.