1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Paradise, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Paradise

Paradise Junior Member

:drinkup: I searched the site but couldn't find anything on pricing sidewalks for residentials. Do any of you that do res. sidewalks in addition to driveways have prices based on the footage? Obviously a corner lot would have more sidewalk footage than his neighbor with just the front walk. Just wondering so I might have somewhat of a starting point for pricing sidewalks. Just curious.
  2. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

One man can shovel 500 sq ft of 1 - 4" of snow fall in 15 minutes. This is pulled from other stats I have seen.

The question is who's doing the shoveling? The driver or a separate crew? If it's the plow driver, you've got a truck sitting not earning it's revenue while he's shoveling. Just say you're looking to get $120 an hour for plowing, that 15 minute walk alone is worth $40 if the plower is doing it. I'd charge $50 or $55. If you send a separate guy around just to shovel, if his cost per hour is $80, you could either still charge $50 and make more or lower your price relative to your cost.

Many customers think that walks should be less than a driveway, we charge a premium. Not only do other contractors not want to shovel, and nor do customer want to do it themselves, so we get paid for it... but realistically they simple are not cheap to clear as it's all labor, very little equipment.