1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grottsnowremoval, Aug 11, 2003.

1. grottsnowremoval

grottsnowremoval Junior Member

I was wondering approx. how many square feet of snow on sidewalks per hour would the following pieces of equipment be able to do:

snapper zero turn mower with blower attatchment (48 inches wide I believe)

suzuki quad-runner 4x4 4-wheeler with 48 inch snow blade

48 inch walk behind 2 stage snowblower

We work with a one-inch trigger depth, so assume the snow will reach about 2 inches in the deepest part when we plow.

2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

How much sidewalk will you be doing?? I would say that that 4-wheeler and blade should do at least a mile per hour or more. If you are working on a 1" trigger you should be able to go almost as fast as the blowers will go since they will not be working that hard on 1" of snow.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if you stay on top of the dept of the snow the quad is the
    hot setup
    i have a 4x4 yamaha and it works great

bought a u edge over the summer
    to keep my guy from getting shot over the handle bars
    when he hits a raise curb

cardoctor :dizzy:

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

It all depends on how much snow there are (snow depth), and the condition of the snow (fluffy or wet & heavy). With deep snowfall, you will have to slow down to allow the snowblower to throw the snow without bogging it down. A nice fluffy snowfall will let the snowblower go faster, but wet and heavy snowfall will significantly slow down the blower. If the snow is really wet, you may have to really slow down because it can easily clog up the chute. ALWAYS TURN OFF THE MACHINE AND NEVER USE YOUR HAND TO UNCLOG THE SNOWBLOWER. There are so many accidents when people tried to unclog the snowblower. Sometime even with machine turned off, there is still some stored energy waiting to be released when you unclog the blower. When that happen, the spinner will turn, and you guess what would happen. Always use something like a stick or wood dowel or similar to unclog the chute.

Be careful!