1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalks, what do you use to spread salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by All_Clear, Dec 24, 2007.

1. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

What do you use for spreading salt on sidewalks....

I have been using a drop spreader with bagged icemelt but am open to other ideas. Will be sticking with the bagged icemelt.

All Clear
  2. All Season Lawn

All Season Lawn Member

if you are using bagged salt you know how much you are spreading (lbs) I have always put it in a bucket or small cart depending on how far you travel and spread it by hand, may companies around here i see doing it the same way.
  3. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

I've been using 3-5, 50# bags to do the entire apt complex (some heavy in front of the north facing buildings that get no sun)

I figure it efficient this way and goes down evenly, I'm payed hrly (am maintenance supervisor) and this is what was here when i took the property over.

All Clear
  4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

drop spreaders are ok if it aint to wide but we use a buyers spreader (walk behind) unless it's early a.m. and then we'll use the toolcat and a 575 spread-x and bulk

sometimes my guys just load a couple of bags in a shopping cart and push it around spreading by hand if too many people are around and trying to walk on the walk's
  5. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

We use 2.5 gal pail (has lid if needed) most workers can carry easily and apply by hand, workers are required to wear rubberized gloves that have the cotton glove inserts. This is the easiest, quickest and most cost effective way we have found to apply deicer on sidewalks. Larger areas we use drop spreaders & fert broadcast spreaders.
  6. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

My biggest thing is people that park half way over the sidewalk. The drop spreader makes 2 passes to put down cover edge to edge (unless cars are in the way) I've been doing 3 passes using the over lap pass down the middle.

All Clear
  7. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

For sidewalks, we use the Earthway 2170 with "side deflectors" that keep the chemical from being broadcast too wide. The chemical flows freely and you can get 50 - 100 lbs in the hopper.