1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sidewalks, walk behind plows?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jimmy2b, Feb 3, 2008.

1. jimmy2b

jimmy2b Junior Member

ok Vancouver Canada tymusic wet snow 2 miles of side walks i have been goon spooning it and now am looking for an option other than my sore back. I think that a snow thrower will leave to much behind due to the type of snow. I was wondering if anyone of you have a walk behind plow type of machine. please tell me how you do your walks and even post a picture.

all of my sites need to be clear by 7am and are in residential areas so quiet operation is a must. I also don't get much snow so a lower cost will be what i am looking for.

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You would be best with tractor like this. but they would need have edge replace all time because 2 miles is so long.

[​IMG]

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

It'd be a cold day in you-know-where before someone told me to be quieter while doing snow removal. :nono:

4. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

6. jimmy2b

jimmy2b Junior Member

I was thinking more about a brush cutter, with the blade removed and a plow attached.

Has anyone see one or used one?

7. Ferti-man

Ferti-man Junior Member

Dont these lawn tractors have single wheel drive? How much snow are you able to push with it?

8. Milwaukee

I can push almost 8" if you don't stop and get more weight plus tire chain you would be fine.

I won't use tractors if it don't have tire chains.

These lawn tractor not lawn tractor it is heavy duty garden tractor which close to compact tractor.

9. Ferti-man

Ferti-man Junior Member

Does this mean it has posi in rear?

10. Milwaukee

No but it very strong iron cast transmission.

11. Ferti-man

Ferti-man Junior Member

What plow do you have on this bad boy? How do you like it?

12. PPP

PPP Member

Have you considered a Gravley 2 wheeled tractor? They can be picked up reasonably cheap and push alot of snow. You can google them and see how versitile they are. They were made up through the 1990's. BTW I own one and it'll push more than you would imagine with tire chains and dual wheels. You can even do a search on youtube and see a few older ones at work pushing snow.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  13. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

Take a look at the one in my avatar. It is only 6 hp but I can push 6" of snow pretty easily. Tire chains are a must as well as a smooth blade. Mine is a 48" blade, perfect for sidewalks. :salute:

14. Milwaukee

If you want it

don't buy lawn tractors with belt drive it would wear out fast due traction overload on belt it slip.

I vote

Case Ingersoll, cub cadet, Wheelhorse, gravely, john deer, and arien.

If I am tired of lift manual then Case ingersoll, cub cadet, wheelhorse, Arien, and john deer have hydraulic lift.

But john deer limit how high snowplow is but case ingersoll are adjust for lift up or down. Plus it have down pressure.

15. Milwaukee

44" but it very expense for 54" but I think 54" would work good. I love it than my other GT with gear transmission.

16. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I do remember seeing at least 1 or 2 mfg's that have blades available for walk-behind mowers as well as z-turn mowers. I'm sure you can come up with something on a search.

17. CrewKut

CrewKut Junior Member

18. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

Do you have a grator mound on the street side? If not....do a search on my last posts and you will see the perfect set up. It mounts to your truck and you can plow sidewalks at 45kph. There is no worry about obsticalse, they go right through it.

19. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Plow sidewalks at 45kph?? Are you sure you took your meds this morning?

What kind of advice it that? We don't want the guy to kill himself now, or destroy signs, kill people etc...

Think before you give advice. :confused:

:)

20. v-plower

v-plower Senior Member

My friend does 7 miles of sidewalks and has several bobcats but this year he added either 1 or 2 mt55s
    They work awesome. They scrape very well and are small.
    Also the bobcat 463 is like 3 feet wide. If I had a lot of narrow sidewalks to do I would get a 463 and then use it in the spring as well for small jobs.

Here is a mt55

mt55.jpg