1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalks never cleared..........

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Winterized, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

Has anyone here ever questioned or confronted your city about noncompliant homeowners regarding snow on personal/homeowner sidewalks.

City about 15K... has on the books homeowners need to clear their walks but never really enforce it. City only acts if a complaint is filed... and then the grace period is so far out it really makes no difference anyway.

I feel bad for the elderly or handicapped, they are the ones to suffer for this. Same policy applies for lawns.... but an uncut lawn will not harm a person. Going to a city meeting here would only make life bad the complainer. Has anyone else dealt with this issue successfully?

I offered to clear an adjoining sidewalk to one of my accounts for $5. Was easier to clear his walk than turn my machine around mid-block. Nope... wouldn't have me do it! Turning him in just would not be good for P.R. in a small town..... so life goes on.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Perhaps it would be best to get a few residents together to make a general complaint about the lack of enforcement of the policy, rather than complain about a specific person that is not clearing their sidewalk. It may fall on deaf ears but might be worth a shot.
  3. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

My town has a Bombardier and a Holder 9700. So no, we don't have to deal with that. Some people still shovel their snow off their walks though, particularly older retired people. I used to drive a tractor down the walks to clear it off.
  4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I can't stand people that don't clear their walks. In my town kids walk to school and sidewalks are very important yet many don't even bother to do it.
  5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I don't use sidewalks and because of that, I don't clear them either. Unless its a commercial customer.
  6. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a good idea for money making between snowfalls, sub yourself out the city, have extra work for sidewalk guys, hmmm, i smell business growth
  8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

In 2004, i gave out a small bid for a single road development, all on 1-2 acre props...had a 1/4 mile or longer sidewalk border the roadway behind their homes. They'd all have to walk at least 100' or more to get to the sidewalk to clear theri portions .

I gave the HOA a price JUST to clear the walks, $120 starting for anything upto 12"! haha, i so lowballed with the 32" snow blower it wasnt funny, and i still didnt get the job.

Highest price was $160s for upto 24", and she said it was going to be too much money.

They never clear the walks still to this day, township says they require it though, all these homes are 700k+ in jersey too, not like they cant afford it. I think out of the 15 homes that border this 1/4 mile or longer sidewalk, thats what under $10 each home? wtf?

I gave them a price of $225 to do sidewalks around the whole development, about 3/4 mile worth or longer, ah well. If she calls today ill quote them $350 for just the one part or $650 for all of em :/
  9. ondirtymax

ondirtymax Member

Are you guys talking about sidealks that run parallel with the street?? If so why would it be the homeowners responsibility, it should be the town's!
  10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Here its the homeowners job to install it, shovel it and repair/reinstall it in the future
  11. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

In my town they require sidewalks to be cleared within 24 hours on a 2" trigger. They do enforce it, usually about a week later. With the shoveling charge and administrative fees it is usually $125.00.
  12. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah Im sure that the taxpayer wouldnt mind a lil increase on their bill to cover snow removal what a hassletymusictymusic
  13. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I just hate when people use the street to walk .
  14. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Thats when you roll down the window and apoligize. 'Im sorry for having to drive on your sidewalk, do you mind letting me pass" LOL:jester::jester:tymusic
  15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

They do such a quality job in the street IDK if i would want them on the sidewalk chewing up the lawn and fing up the driveway
  16. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

is that before or after the water gun is used . J/K
  17. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I used to snow blow my own side walk down to the cement and then the city snow blower blower would come thru when ever they felt like it, and put more snow on the sidewalk than it took off. Now I just back drag it with my 8 ft plow. It leaves the same amount snow as the city does. The kids like it because they like to walk side by side.
  18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Same here.
    The city does hire someone to clear the walks that don't get done and then the city bills the homeowner. It goes on their taxes if they don't pay too.
  19. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

That was my main contract for the last 4 years. I would plow the sidewalks of City owned properties. (parks, vacant lots, bridge overpasses) I took great pride in my work and never had complaints. The guy doing it this year sucks. It has been 7 days since the last snow storm and there are several sidealks that have over a foot of snow on them.

I don't walk on the City sidewalks. I drive everywhere. It's the poor guy that's catching a bus to go to work for McD's. Or the high school kid walking to school that I feel bad for. I have tried and tried to get the City to enforce their own ordanance. Snow and ice must be removed within 24 hours.

They go out a week after a big storm and warn the business or resident. Then by the time the fine should have been paid the snow has melted.
  20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

There is a article on WWMT website in Kalamazoo about this. The city(Kalamazoo) plainly says they will not enforce the law of clearing walks for PR reasons. The problem and complaints they are getting is from the elderly and handicapped people I guess.

Electric wheelchairs have to go out in streets and people using walkers are as well.
    They are telling people to call the city and they will make sure a path is made to their daily stops. :dizzy: