1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalks in a bar district bidding help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Derektaus, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Derektaus

Derektaus Junior Member

Location is in Kansas. We generally get 4-5 events a year but last year we only had 1 :(

I am putting in a bid for sidewalk snow removal and ice melt for the entire bar district. Most of the walks are 10-12 ft wide and stretch the entire city block. I have it measured at around 63,000 sq foot total. Its essentially 4 city blocks.

I am bidding a per push price with ice melt and just a ice melt price for ice storms.

My plan is to purchase a plow (maybe a V) for my Toro dingo to do all these lots and not tie up my residential blower crews at all.

So my questions: Is the dingo a good plan? If so any shots in the dark on time this would take with a 5 ft plow and tx500 dingo?

How much ice melt should I plan on? (we use excalibur ice melt -10) I know I need plan to do it heavy being that it will be packed down if bars are open while it's snowing and the amount of (drunken)foot traffic it will have.
  2. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Sidewalks and Bar district in the same sentence to me say...Run for the hills...
    LapeerLandscape likes this.
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

You ain't kidding. That is a bid it, then double your number project.

Or if you prefer you can use my method on jobs that area logistical nightmear... Start with the dartboard method, add 20%, then double, then pick a number to add to it, and double that... plus another 10% for good measures...
    LapeerLandscape likes this.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I figured the bar part would suck you right in...........
    FredG likes this.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

OP, yes the Dingo will work, but it won't be efficient. And that's a lot of walking.

But there is a lot of liability there.
  6. Derektaus

Derektaus Junior Member

The dingo has the ride on platform so not really any walking but I am not a fan of using a trailer during snow events. I don't currently use it for snow removal but it is a machine we own that I feel could be useful. I would also use it at several HOA's and large businesses we currently do all the walks and residential on with just snow blowers.
    Thats about all I have for a current plan :) I charge $125 hour per truck and would do the same for the dingo. I'm thinking 8 hours so $1000 a push plus ice melt.
  7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I'd want nothing to do with this, as I'm sure my insurance company would agree.

Can you say slip and fall central?

I like the dartboard method Philbilly!
  8. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I think the dingo would be way too slow. A bobcat toolcat would be ideal.
  9. Philbilly2

Looks like I forgot to add the last 5%... for a couple of trips to Hooters...
    FredG, Derektaus and LapeerLandscape like this.
  10. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

It kinda spells trouble for the workers all around doesn't it. Warm bar with beer or cold and shoveling a sidewalk.
  11. Philbilly2

Who said anything about the workers??? :drinkup:
    Derektaus and LapeerLandscape like this.
  12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Just re-route the urinals to empty on the walks......:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:
  13. Philbilly2

In all honesty, I would have a talk with your insurance person. They may need to add an additional line item on your insurance that might cost a bit more, but it will cover your hole if some drunk has a slip and fall or if one thinks he is cute and does something dumb to or in front of your equipment... You might need to role that cost into your bid if it is substantial.

Just an example: I have an $500,000 errors and omissions ryder that in written into my GL to cover if my own staff was to install something wrong. This makes it so that if my guys install something wrong, or if we install a faulty product, or the drawings are not correct, there is something to fall back on. My insurance will pay my labor and materials to correct and defense costs that occur from suits. Costs me $1560 a year... I see that as cheap insurance to keep you a float while things are figured out legally. Lawsuits take companies without the correct insurance out of business EVERY day.

It is simply the fact that you are proposing to work in an area were people are bound to be intoxicated, people are sue crazy these days and if they see an opportunity to "get rich quick" at your expense, you will be much better off if you take the time to look into your insurance and make sure you have the correct coverage.

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth...
    Derektaus likes this.
  14. Derektaus

Derektaus Junior Member

I have experienced this already before so I have it factored into my insurance. We take care of a couple of the late night restaurants that everyone goes to when the bars close. :) I will for sure ad some extra monies to account for the pain and risk.
    Philbilly2 likes this.
  15. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

With that much sidewalk where will you put the snow? What about melt and refreeze? I have been known at times to drive my truck down sidewalks but not sure that would be a good idea with drunks everywhere. :drinkup:
  16. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Not for nothing, You don't want a lot of ballast in the truck you use on walks. Foot traffic is only poured at 4''.
  17. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Hope they don't pay you with cans of PBRs. Where are ya going to put the snow?
  18. Philbilly2

HA!!!! Did a service call at a Dunkin Dounuts this AM... tried to pay in gift cards... said nope... but... if it would have been a Tilted Kilt, Hooters, or the local dancin gal club... I might have considered....
    Randall Ave, BUFF and Mark Oomkes like this.
  19. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Well there you go, found perfect use for Tundra. Commercial sidewalk rig. :rolleyes:
    FredG and Philbilly2 like this.
  20. Derektaus

Derektaus Junior Member

The thought of a truck on the walks crossed my mind at first :) There are street signs and light poles is the problem. We are going to push it to the edges and into the street. Its rare for us to get more than 4-5 inches at a time. I actually keep the fridge always stocked with beer for my guys so I could take payment in Busch and Bud light. Its looking like a 1600-1900 ish per push price right now so that would be lots of beer. Party at my place :)