1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalks/Brick with a Gravely Walk Behind & Plow... what to put on the metal blade?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mikeym, Jan 27, 2011.

1. mikeym

mikeym Junior Member

Hey All, :help:

I work for a non-profit in Lehigh Valley... we just were granted a contract for our workforce development program to conduct snow removal in the city...

I grew up with my father using Gravely walk behinds because they were great machines! We are purchasing a used Gravely Commercial 12 w/ 48"plow attachment from a local gentleman.

The plow doesn't have skids or a rubber runner on the bottom....

We would like to use on sidewalks and some brick walkways without:
    1) Getting stuck up on uneven sidewalk...
    2) Loosening bricks in the walk...

What options do I have for modding the plow to be able to be safely and efficiently used?

Thanks!

~mikeym :waving:

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Take a piece of 1 1/2 inch pipe. Cut a slot in it to slip over the blade cutting edge. The weld some sort of a pin on each side to hold it in place. This way you can remove it when necessary, or put on back on with no tools. Remember if you do this, your going to leave all hard packed snow and all ice in place. Your only going to remove the loose snow and slush on top.

3. mikeym

mikeym Junior Member

Hmmm... Great idea! Have you used this method?

Although I'm thinking that could be a problem leaving the hard pack and may create more work that its worth...

I was thinking of a heavy rubber that you could bolt to the plow edge? Does someone make something like that cheap or can materials be bought at a local home depot store for example?

4. mikeym

mikeym Junior Member