1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk snow removal question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J HIsch, Nov 23, 2004.

1. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

I have a nursing facility that wants the walks cleaned. My question is has anyone ever used 5 Hp blower by billy goat to clean walks. This is a wheel blower for leaves, not snow blower.
  2. If it is what I think it is, it would prolly work for the light powder, but for the wet heavy or icy stuff, it ain't goin' anywhere with a blower.
  3. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

i've used a redmax backpack blower. won't do it again. Got snow all over myself and the air actually caused some spots to stick worse. I'd rate it at a 4 out of a 10 for effectiveness.
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Get you a nice single stage unit with rubber paddles that will clear snow right down to concrete with light to moderate snowfalls. With heavy falls if might take a few passes.
  5. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

I agree with Tarkus.. Out of all the sidewalk shovelers I worked with last year, only one used a blower and it was a single stage rubber bladed machine.. No gears to mess with, it'll go as fast as you can push, and most of all, it's easy to lift back in your truck..
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

If you have the coin Ariens and Toro make some nice 5 to 7hp models that weight under 80lb wet. I have a Ariens because it has a few extra features that the Toro does not though they look a lot alike.