1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk snow removal - 30 miles worth

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ernest, Apr 26, 2007.

1. ernest

ernest Member

Has any body used a utility vehicle with a v-plow on sidewalks before.What were the results ? I have about 30 miles to do. Any suggestions. Thanks
  2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Holy smokes! I've used my ATV for walks before. It did a decent job, but didn't get all the way to the ground. If quality is what you're going for, use a snow blower; if you're wanting speed, a plow on an atv can't be beat. If you get mad at an employee & want them to quit, put them on a shovel for that 30 miles.
  3. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

30 miles? Holy crap.
    U'r gonna want something like the kabota f-series. When u get wet heavy snow, a 4 wheeler wont cut cut it. Get a kabota f series with a cab, snowblower, and plow attachment. The blower doesnt always get down to the ground, but if u want perfection, run over it with the blower, then hit it with the plow. Otherwise, u could go with a bobcat.
  4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Do you need to spread salt as well? yo might look to a compact tractor with 3pt salt spreader. you can put a plow and blower or even a broom on it.

How wide are the sidwalks? with 30 miles you are probably going to need more then one machine. with most of what we are talking about havine a 7mph top end...you are talking 4+ hours to complete your first pass. There could be alot of snow behind you in a heavy storm

I had about 5-6 interconnecting miles of side walk last year. I use 2 complact tractors with 6 foot plows and spreaders, 2 atvs with plows and spreaders and anywere from 4-20 shovel guys to clean up behind them.
  5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Sweet mother, thats alot of sidewalks! I would go with a Skid Steer, maybe two:nod:
  6. rgjlawn

rgjlawn Member

bobcat toolcatprsport
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Just curious, but wouldn't one determine the method of removal before getting the job so one could price based on the efficiency of that piece of equipment?

How else would you know how much time it is going to take?
  8. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

30 miles??

Holder or Trackless with a 2 stage snowblower and a v plow
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

How dare you make that assumption!!!:eek:
  11. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Sidewalk solution

My choice would be a Jeep, CJ 5 , with a v-plow. Unstoppable, reliable, and comfortable.

Should take about 3 hours to do at 10 MPH
  12. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Assuming it will fit? How wide is the walkway? How narrow are the restrictions by things like Tele poles, hydrants, mailboxes? Are you responsible for clearing any driveways you fill in?
  13. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

What city are you doing?....I can't think of anything else with 30 miles of walks, unless it's the worlds' biggest retitrement community.

Thats A Lot, Bombardier Sw48
  15. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Toolcat with a snowblower this would be the only thing i would use, be sure to charge plenty!
  17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

But it's more fun to bid the job first; then figure out how you're going to do it. Why waste time on details before you have to?:cry:
  18. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the holders are a good tractor but are made overseas. if you have any problems you will have to wait for parts. the mttrackless has parts that are more common to the USA.
  19. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Anyone noticed that this post was from last April and Ernest has not responded with any followup info?

"Left the room" so-to-speak !
  20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's funny!!!