1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sidewalk shovelers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTS Landscaping, Nov 3, 2004.

1. JTS Landscaping

JTS Landscaping Member

was wondering what you guess usually charge you sidewalk shovelers. couple people wont to shovel side walks at the condo that im doing this year. i need to come up with another price. the developer needs to know in a couple days.there is atleast 1hr 15min shoveling walks and in front of garages. please help.
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I charge $35.00 per hour for sidewalks.
  3. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I tell the kids to go do it :nod: . You charge $35 but what do you pay the laborers? $20.00?
  4. The Boss

I pay my friend $10.00/hr and buy all his meals.
  5. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Consider a snowblower as an alternative?

I just got two Ariens 5520E snowblowers from Home Depot last night (the Toro 3650's I wanted were sold out and on backorder until who knows when so I went with the Ariens).. $615.00 each + tax.

Weights about 130lbs and has a 20" clearing width..

Just something to consider. :waving:
  6. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I charge 2x the labor, IF the labor has their own transportation. If I have to have someone with me in the truck, that changes everything. I listen to classical most of the time and typically the laborer will scream and want to smoke like a fiend.
  7. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

i charge my regular plow rate an if i have to do sidewalks then we gotta do sidewalks !!
  8. The Boss

My friend uses my 32 in. craftsman 2-stage.
  9. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

i was getting $45 per hour for a place i did 2 years ago..... usually 4 to 8 hrs per snow
  10. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Anyone see the Ariens 32"? I saw one at the Depot today..Looks like it would make quick work of any walkway.
  11. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Snoluvr,

Do you remember the price? I am looking for a second one to put on my other truck which is not used for plowing. I was heading out to the depot tonight but got on here instead.

12. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

Look for an MTD with the "power steering". They are the only people with a fully locked rear drive with "separate disengaging" wheels. They have the same drive system as Ariens, are better balanced for clearing heavy snow, less money, and don't let the snow weep out the sides.

2' of snow, no problem. I get $130/hour for my 13hp/33" machine.

13. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

that's a sweet pic. How much for the mtd??
  14. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I think the 32" ariens with 8 hp. was about $1300..give or take..figure it must save some time though..better than a 24"
  15. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic Member

In my area we are getting between $35-50 per man hour plus materials depending on the contract.
  16. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

Mine was $1,700. I bought it from "Loews". You probably don't need the 13hp/33", and MTD makes a lot to choose from. My friend has the 10hp/30" machine, which is on a smaller frame and really nice for sidewalks.
  17. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

AWESOME PICTURE!! I don't know what people would do if we got that much snow at once here!! :waving:
  18. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

Once it gets over 20", it does start to be fun :)
  19. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I got a funny for ya. I bid on this grocery store n the store manager calls me back after a few days and wants to know if I do sidewalks. I told him I'd charge him the same as if I was plowing. I recommended that he send one of his flunky stock boys that he's payin 7 bucks an hour to do it cuz I was gonna keep chargin him to come back and take care of the drifts. :eek:
  20. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

snowblower all the way here. it snows too much, too often to think about wasting more than a few minutes using a shovel when you can make good money running a plow or a blower. I get $60 per hour with a snowblower.