1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sidewalk productivity

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by treemover, Aug 10, 2011.

1. treemover

treemover Junior Member
    from Kansas

Trying figure how price out a job, has couple miles(2) 4, 6 and 8' wide walks. Lets look at the 4' ones with 4" what kinda productivty should I expect with and atv and 2 guys with shovels cleaning up? What about ice melt? How many feet can a man cover in an hour using a push spreader? Not asking for price, but for man hours

Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Pickup a spreader for the atv,that will cut your time down.

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Do you think an atv is your best option? I use a Kubota GF1800 with a blower. I would think a John Deere 1440 would be a sweet unit to use. Something with a blower would be best, because then it doesn't really matter how much snow you have. It just blows it out of the way.

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

For an experienced operator an ATV is EXTREMELY efficient. When I see our guys that use the atvs, I'm amazed at how fast they get walks cleared. I am personally terrible with an atv w/plow. I have one at my cottage, and feel like an idiot trying to use it.

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That's because you're using the wrong tool.

I understand your cottage and property are huge and vast......you need a large tractor to maintain your road system, fields and labyrinth of nature trails. :nod:

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

1400 series JDs are beautiful machines and would work really well for the OP but snowblowers on those units are WAY slower than a plow. I have both attachments and I cringe every time we get a storm that causes me to use the blower. I bet for every 1/2 mile of sidewalk I clear with my blower I can do 1 mile with my plow.

7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We did a 20 acre office complex with 1.5 miles of sidewalk, some 4ft, some 6ft, some 8 ft in width. Each round with the ATV took 2 hours, shoveling (which we used in costing the job to bid it) we figured about 16 Man hours into shoveling these walks, beacause we weren't positive the owner would "lend" us the quad for the season, he's got this impression that they're toys, not tools. He was really happy when he saw how quick the walsk got done, and how much money he made in clear profit because we had the right tools.....

Get a quad....the only way to do walks IMO.

8. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

If you have zero turn mowers that are not used and your customer will let you clean the sidewalks with the storm this may be your cheapest and best option. Mibar makes a awesome one. Zero turns work great in lite snows and in my case if I am ever clearing a sidewalk with more than 1 inch I am fired anyways this works great.

9. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Atv's work great as long as you plow with the storm. We use a little Honda 350 to do the exterior walks at our kingsoopers and I can plow at 10mph easy with 2inches of snow. I have plowed up to 5in when we fell behind and it did good but if you let the sidewalks get walked on your are *ucked. The guy who runs it loves it and when he is not doing exteriors he helps with the trim work and moving bags of ice melt to the shoveler's. Very use full tool.
    Robert

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

A blade would be nice. But my sidewalks are all by the hour Thumbs Up

I really want to upgrade to a John Deere this winter. If you see anything good for under $10k, please let me know.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Need one of these.

atv with plow.jpg