1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk plowing with a rear mount tractor snowblower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bluejlandscaper, Jan 17, 2010.

1. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

I have a commercial job that has added a new area to plow around a new building. It is expected to open for business in late March or in April of this year. I may or may not have to plow these new areas this season, but will definitely be plowing next season. There is about 600 ' of 5' wide sidewalk and about 400 ' of 8' wide sidewalk along with a 10,000 sq./ft courtyard with nothing heavier than 2500 lb vehicle allowed on the concrete to plow. I have a 40 hp New Holland tractor with a 8' Pro Teck pusher and 7' rear blade on the site already. This tractor will plow the courtyard, but is too big on the 5' sidewalks. I am looking at a smaller New Holland Tractor 28 hp with a 5' plow on front loader and a 52" pto rear mount blower on back, and 5' rear blade to pull snow away from other areas. This smaller tractor will also be needed to load bulk salt into a spreader on a larger tractor to spread on asphalt driveways and parking areas. My question is ? anyone using a tractor rear mount snowblower for larger sidelwalks 5' and up?

2. CaptainSmokey

CaptainSmokey Senior Member

get your self a Atv with a plow on it and it will do the job

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i am going to try the same thing, i have a 23 hp machine i am going to put a 46 inch rear pto drive snow blower, and trying it on residential driveways and sidewalks

4. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

It might be more money... With either the 23 or 28 HP tractors why not use a front mount blower? I am not a fan of rear mounted snow blowers. On the back you could mount a spreader for salt and weight. I think a front mount blower would be more productive.

5. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

The reason I don't want a front mount snowblower ( if you read the post) I need the loader to load bulk rock salt into a spreader on a larger tractor.I would like to have a loader mounted quick attach snowblower ie. like the new Frontier model from John Deere, but the smallest size is a 72" much too large for that tractor and way too big for a 5' sidewalk.

6. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

I have NO USE FOR AN ATV in my business and do not want a toy to play with. With a small tractor I could use it to mow in the summer and other landscaping jobs on a small scale.

7. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

What is the overall width of you 40hp new holland tractor? Is the footprint wider than 5 foot? You may be able to get a 5 foot rear mount blower for your bigger tractor and just remove the rear blade and out the blower on for sidewalks, unless this is the bigger tractor you were talking about loading salt into. If you are set on getting a newer smaller tractor then by all means, but it could make it harder transporting unless you leave it on site and than can open up a whole new can of worms.

I guess what im trying to say don't get a whole new machine just for these sidewalks, but if you can run it all summer and all winter it may be a worthwile investment.

8. R.M Hanson

R.M Hanson Junior Member

I do this very thing with my little tractor. We have a small 25hp. cub cadet compact tractor, and run a 60in. snow-blower on the back for sidewalks. This lets you still use the loader on the front to load, or to push yourself out of the snow if you get stuck. (very important) It also allows the ability to raise the blower up a couple of feet, back into a drift, then drive forward, lower the blower to the ground and repeat. We have blown through drifts about 5 feet deep before in this fashion, it works great. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  9. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

The rear wheel width on the 2310 New Holland 40hp tractor with R-3 tires (Turf Type) is 70 " much too wide for a 5' sidewalk. That size tractor would need a 72' rear blower. I just sold a 66." blower because it was too narrow for the 2310 and much too big for the 1110 , I am looking at. I like the Meteor 51" blower, but am advised on other sites that unit may not be the best for commericial use. Most often recommended is the Blizzard model B-54 with a cutting width of 54"> Incidentally the rear tread width on the NH 1110 with R-3 tires is 52" I also looked at the Woods S-52 but that blower is priced at $3000.00 , $800.00 more than the Meteor and $600.00 more than the Blizzard. The smallest NH rear mount is 62" again the price is over $3000.00. I will not have have to transport to site as I have inside storage for the smaller tractors. As far as needing the loader to load bulk salt in to my 80hp NH with Vicon spreader, that will take the place of my Dingo Mini-Skidsteer which we now load with, which is not the warmest job on a cold early morning!!!!!

10. lilbear

lilbear Junior Member

i recently sold my 553 bobcat had 5 foot blade well uder your weight limit and could switch to bucket to load this was amazingly fast i did alot of hard to get to areas small apartments and area such as u r talking about with blade angled would push 4foot 8 or so unit was 4 foot wide about 900lbs blade was 150lbs and bucket was 200lbs 5 foot wide standard big money with right equipment for tight areas also did some shipping receving places that had lot of trouble finding guy to push big money with these guys usually money was no object beings how they would shut down cause forktruck couldnt get to product outside

11. lilbear

lilbear Junior Member

also they make a snow blower for this unit that i had the pleasure to use a couple of times i think it was made by quick way epuipment this thing was bad to the bone and i used this unit for landscaping during the summer time with a custom made harely rake they didnt make them at the time i got my machine

12. RJ lindblom

Another thought to maybe kick around for sidewalks, how about a zero turn mower with a blade on the front? Perhaps a used Walker with blower and perhaps a JRCO blade?

It would require retaining the 40 HP tractor to load the salter.

13. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

We have a 60" Farm King 3pt blower on our 35hp Deere. It's awesome, throws the snow a mile! I thought the rear mount would be annoying, but it's actually not that bad. We use it for driveways, small parking lots, etc.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  14. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

I am not into the mowing scene, with that type of-mower I would have no use for the mower in the summer. The bucket on the NH 40hp is 72' wide much too wide to load that Vicon spreader.Thanks for your input.

15. RJ lindblom

Makes sense.

16. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

We have the baby Bobcat 463 with 44" bucket and SB150 blower
    Bobcat is 2400 lbs, heated cab, Quik-tach can be changed in a few minutes.Bucket can load to about 7.5 feet, 5 cu ft at a time. We load our 1.5 yard salter in 6 scoops.

Change over to blower is 2 couplers 2 locking levers and electrical connection, Bucket is 2 locking levers. We load the salter truck, swap the bucket to the blower and send the 463 and SB150 blower out with one of the trucks

17. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

sounds like a great little system, i would love to see a pic of the bobcat and blower

18. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

19. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

Just an update on this thread. I am awaiting the arrival of this NH tractor model 1030, 28hp with loader, undermount mower and rear mount snowblower. The tractor will also have a cab installed as soon as the cab arrives from the manufacturer in 8-10 weeks. I have added a picture of the tractor with a similiar snowblower.

01_11_2010_1030_Hard_Cab resize (800x533).jpg

20. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That's a great looking little tractor, but the blower seems big for it. At only 28 HP I would think in heavy snow you will be at a snails pace, not to mention looking backwards for long periods of time.