1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk plowing w/ utility vehicle w/ V blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ernest, Aug 20, 2007.

1. ernest

ernest Member

Looking for someone that has actually used or knows somebody that has used a utility vehicle with a v plow to clear city sidewalks.I am concerned about them being able to push through 2 ft. of wet snow or the crap that city plows throw on sidewalks.Have quite a few blocks to do.I talked to different sales people and they boast about the power these things have and they should work just fine - but have no proof to back it up - maybe just after a sale !! Appreciate any advice.

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

you might want to look at a SS with a vplow due to its wieght. If you are trying to clean up the heavy stuff the county drops on the sidewalk a UTV might not have enough mass to get the job done.

We used a bobcat 463 last year with a 6foot meyers and bucket to do the same thing.

3. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Try a Toolcat with a blower thats what we are trying this year

4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Its not going to be able to push through 2' of wet snow. It will do more than a quad because of the weight. The width of the machine would be my concern.

How wide are the sidewalks? 3' or 4' or more? That would dictate what equipment you can use.
    How many street corners are there? When the city come around a corner it dumps a bunch of snow. You can't get the speed or the power to just push through that amount of snow.

Toolcat would be GREAT! Price and width say for most jobs it is too much. 483 would be good if you got it cheap enough and had a summer use for it.

I run a Kubota BX2200 with a 50" front mount snow blower for the heavy snow falls. And a Polaris quad with a V-blade for the lighter ones.

5. ernest

ernest Member

Polaris

The Polaris Ranger 700 - according to the research I just found seems like it could handle
    it. The power this vehicle has is second to none.Check out the Polaris site - where people
    can write in about their machines.see what you think. I would like to know your thoughts.

6. RipT

RipT Senior Member

A Ranger 700 will plow fresh snow. You will need 500 lbs ballast in the bed, a set of chains avaliable, and several spare belts and be able to change one out blindfolded in the snow & cold, plus a full cab & heater. Polaris, Curtis and Moose make decent plows. Keep in mind that a Ranger is 60" wide. You will have over $16k in it by now.

I would not bet on it for much over 6 to 9" if heavy & wet. I would bet against it for anything the road plows have pushed up on the sidewalk. Power is not the issue, traction and the CVT belt drive are.

Other than that, they are great fun and practical too! We have two 500 4X4 and one 6X6.

A Kubota RTV would be a better choice. Or possibly a small SSL or CUT w/cab. Toolcat is great, but as mentioned before, $$$ ! (I have one also)

You also would really need to determine whether a blade, bucket, or blower is going to work best for your situation. There are many times one or the other simply will not be a viable option.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  7. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

It goes like this. "Don't send a child to do a mans job". There's a proper tool for every situation and a utility vehicle is for skiffs...light snow only.

Trust me, it's a recipe for disaster...:eek:

:)

8. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

If I work hard enough and think about it a long time I can convince mysel that a utility knife can take down a 100' tree. :dizzy:

Those types of vehicle are for recreational purposes only!!! :rolleyes:

:)

9. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I really like the Kubota RTV. diesel, 4x4, dump box, etc. The hydrostacic drive is very responsive. There's no delay for the CVT belt to kick in. Also, there are front and rear hydraulics. The front end looks a lot stronger to handle a plow.

If price was an issue, I would start with just the glass windshield, dress warm, and buy a cab the next year. Those cabs are soo air tight that they are very difficult to shut when inside. I got in one and had to open the front windshield class in order to shut the door.

If I had one, I would figure out a way to mount and run my Kubota 50" snow blower off of my BX 2200. Run a hydraulic motor instead of the the PTO.

If the City street is close by and you get regular snow falls with good amounts, you are going to need a large snow blower. You are just going to run out of places to put the snow.

10. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Yea that's exactly right. The RTV is almost 1000 lbs heaiver than a UTV, and is made to work not play. It's like guying a nice EX-Mark or buying the Crafstman version, no contest.

11. WINTERGROUP

WINTERGROUP Member

Sidewalk Plows

I Have A Lot Of Walkways, Most City Street Walks.
    I Have A Bobcat, Atv W/ Plow, I Have Rented Toolcats With Plows And Blower. Nothing Works As Well As A Bombardier Sidewalk Plow, I Got To Try The Towns And Then Went And Got One For My Self. I Have Saved Time And Labor. I Can Send A 2 Man Crew With The Sw48, They Will Do The Job Of 10 Men With Blowers And A Bobcat. The Most I've Pushed Was About 2.5', We Have Not Had That Much In One Storm In Ct, When I Went To Buy It There Was A Lot Of Snow (ottawa).