1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk Plow anyone??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gordyo, Aug 6, 2003.

1. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Thats a strong looking peace of equipment. Its great for walks and driveways and it looks like its pretty hard to get stuck. I wish i had that last winter when i was shoveling walks for my Fathers accounts. It would have saved time and energy:bluebounc

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Man, that looks like a solid piece of equipment, but I would not use it for sidewalk clearing. It would just tear it up in no time with those tracks and weight. :eek:

4. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Actually, the Town of Greenwich CT has a newer version of a Bombardier... Model SW-48

that they use on the sidewalks around the town parks. That thing really cooks, and fits great on the sidewalks.

I don't know if the one listed on ebay is the same size or larger.

Anyone who buys it would be wise to contact Bomardier to see if they have parts available !!!

Brand New the sw-48 logs in at about $60-$70,000.00

5. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Here's my town's sidewalk plow in action.

Bryan

p2170002(1).jpg

6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Nearby Rutgers University uses Bombardiers in sizes like the one in Bryans picture for the walks. Very efficient. Rutgers very rarely is shut down for snow storms, the only problem is you can't get there because the host towns & other surrounding towns can't keep their roads & walks cleared :rolleyes:

I've driven units in swamps that were the size of the E-bay one. They are loads of fun!!! Like driving a tank, but without the big gun :D

7. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

This is the same problem that I have. Our campus has probably closed 3 times in the 17 years I have worked here and the staff and professors always complain when we are open because they can't get in so they have to either cancel thier specific class for the day or try to get ahold of the TA to hold class in there absence.

8. Trackhead

Trackhead Junior Member
    from 86001

I have one of these. Bombardier Bombi. Four cylinder, four speed, 1.6 liter engine Ford Industrial. Parts............available to an extent through Bombardier. You can still get differential parts, tracks, wheels, bogies, etc. Engine parts are just Ford products. Very simple machines. Just a simple planetary steering differential, transmission, and an engine. Not much to 'em. I use mine for access to my cabin, etc. Also for a backcountry skiing access tool. Very fun machine. Light at 2100 lbs and only .57 psi on the snow. six feet wide x 8 feet long plus the length of the plow. Great for steep driveways. NEVER slips.

[​IMG]

9. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Welcome to Plowsite Trackhead! Thanks for posting that picture, that's a great set up. That's the size machine I drove for that company. We also had a couple of similar sized machines made by Thiacol (spelling?). We just had flat beds on the back for hauling stuff through swamps & like I said they were loads of fun to drive & to try to get unstuck.

10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Trackhead Welcome to plowsite:waving:

Thats a nice machine you got there:)

11. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

You could probably hook up with a local snowmobile club and get paid to groom trails with that thing! ;)

Welcome to Plowsite Trackhead