1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk people

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowGodFather, Sep 26, 2003.

1. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

For those of yall more in the snow belt than get a lot more snow that I, what are you guys charging for sidewalks at retail centers?

Also what is your procedure for handeling them?
  2. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Add... I am talking retail places with patios and such also.
  3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I can't say much for pricing or patios.
    Depending on how it's designed. A lot of places around here either have an open area or an overhang with supports. With the blowing/drifting snow they need to be plowed. An easy and effective way is to take a Jeep w/ a really small plow hop the curb & head on down throwing it all into the lot. Then push it away from the curb. Let a couple guys shovel/blow what the Jeep missed & lets the big equip. take over.

Using a Jeep is usually the easiest way as there is just enough room for it to fit up in there. When it's done send it on to another lot or smaller res. you may have in the area. Anything smaller such as a ZTR or ATV your would have to wait around to be loaded up & transport from site to site.
    Pretty easy to mount a tailgate salter to one too.
  4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Small skidder with pusher works great for those types of sites as well. With a couple of shovelers assisting. Just have to make sure that operator is a good one & experienced. Easy to hit things in those tight spaces & you don't want them leaving skuff marks all over the place either.
  5. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

One of the local companies here uses several exmarks, with plows on the front. They have a contract with the city, and they just push the snow into the street, then the city takes it from there.

6. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Paver type patios with concrete surrounds.

I don't think a big machine will do these.

I am going to pass on these as that I don't want the head ache of having to worry about these getting done the right way.

Also There is now way I could put something to make them easier on them other than a ATV or snow blower.
  7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

8. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I try to use an ATV with uedge as much as I can for longer runs. Multiple passes and you're done. Once you try to start manuevering the ATV in and around things, shifting forward/reverse, it looses it's productivity. What the ATV does for me is make me more competitive on my sidewalks, lowering the price relative to someone using a blower. I'm more likely to get the account.

For larger more open areas by entranceways, snow blowers and snow shovels (24" or 30" wide pushers) are the best method if you don't have a skidsteer or the like on site.

How much do we get? I try to get between $60 and $80 an hour per sidewalk guy. If a two man crew can do the walks, one on the ATV and one guy detailing and it's going to take one crew hour or two man hours, I'll try to get $130 to $160 for the job. But if they high level of expectation for service and I'm going to be de-icing, I'll lower the price to maybe $95, and then add salting at another $95. For about the same amount of time, I'm then getting $190 an hour less materials and two guys labor. On the larger sites where I can use the ATV salter, I'll be more competitive. On the smaller sites where it's all hand work and its more show up time, I try to get the $80 per hour price. Minimum for me sending a sidewalk crew is about $35 or $40 for clearing and similar for salting. If the walks are less than that then I'll most likely have the truck driver do them, but I hate to have them get out of the truck.
  9. SnowMizer

SnowMizer Junior Member

I utilize a Kubota Bx2200 tractor for sidewalk work. I have 3 front end attachments for this machine. 1) snowblower, 2) plow, 3) rotary broom. The rotary broom is GREAT for clearing sidewalks quickly. It doesn't work well in deep snow however.
    I also have a spreader mounted on the rear for salting.
    I have found this machine to be very reliable over the past three winters and it almost eliminates hand labor.
    This machine is also quite handy for clearing tight spots in parking lots, driveways etc.
    It is a little on the expensive side. I paid around 18k for the complete setup including cab with heater.
    Mower decks also are available for this machine for summer work.
    While I found this to be a big investment, I have been able to reduce the amount of labor that I require to help justify the cost.
    As far as skid steers go, I have also used these in the past. The two problems I have encountered with them are, 1) they are just too darn heavy and tend to fracture weak areas of sidewalks, 2) you better have a really good operator on a skid steer or it becomes a small tank and a lot of stuff can get tore up very quickly.