1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk Pay????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by M & MD Lawn, Dec 18, 2010.

1. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

Hello all, I have been on the site for a while but still considered a newbie seeing as I don't plow yet due to me being in college and time not allowing, but i'm home on christmas break and a friend of mine who commonly subs to me (for lawn care and landscaping) has asked me to be his sidewalk sub this year because he knows i'm reliable, I don't mind i want to do it otherwise I would just be sitting in the house not doing anything plus I want the experience with him as when I do start plowing it will be with him as a sub until I get the hang to bid on my own. HOWEVER I'm not sure how to charge him?????, I do have a labor rate per hour but thats for my landscaping mainly and not sure if thats transferable. I don't even know where to start really, I have all my own equipment = two blowers and shovels + my BR600 and truck of course, he is supplying the salt.

If you guys could give me a ballpark I would greatly appreciate it and yes I have snow removal experience, in my complex so I know how to use a blower and shovel lol:laughing:

I'm located in Indianapolis, Indiana, I'm due to go take a look at the properties Monday so any help is greatly appreciated!!!:)

Thanks in Advance,

2. M & MD Lawn

3. FinerCuts

FinerCuts Member
    from Iowa

Anywhere from $35-45 and hour. Now he is going to probably want to make money off of you but that is what everyone is getting here.
  4. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

in my area we usually bid walks at around $39-42/man hour, and were sending them out in 2-3 man crews so charging anywhere from $78-128 crew hour. Usually If I am being subbed I mark up my break even cost around 35%-45% on snow, whereas customers are in the 60-75% markup. So for a sidewalk crew, b/e is $22.00/man hour that means were talking $30-32/man hour. That allows him to still clear a little profit on the job. Are you supplying all the man power, meaning your employees with you, or is it just you?
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

IMO, he should be telling you what he can pay you. I would suggest talking to him about flat rates per property. There are lots of different ways to do it, and not 1 way is best. If you go hourly as a sub (all your tools & equipment other than salt) then I would agree 35 - 45/hr is fair pay....as long as your hustling....because if your not making him money than why would he keep you around.
  6. M & MD Lawn

I will be supplying everything but the salt and Yes I will get done fast as I can because I will have multiple properties I will have to do, I've worked for him before its just been during the summer, I've worked for him he's worked for me. He knows how I work, He's waiting on me to purchase a plow, but I haven't due to reasons listed above.

So sounds like 35 - 45 a hours is the going rate, I was thinking 30 - 35 myself so I wasn't far off, and yea I do plan to ask him how much he can afford, he knows I won't try to take him and be greedy and as far as flat rate can't they make me limited, or would I give him certain rates, just like when you plow, Per inch(s)?
  7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

yep, but thats something that you and him should discuss to see if it would work. Good luck!
  8. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

but thats not what we are paying them. I would not make anything on a per push job or seasonal if I paid you the same as I am charging !!