1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk Operator How much ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by The Grassman, Nov 9, 2003.

1. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

I work for a guy locally in Brampton who has a contract for our court house there. I operate a John Deere 4wd with a 54" blade on it.

I am on standby you could say. I get called when it snows there is no trigger its whenever it has to go. Bare i guess.

I get paid $15hr when i work. I charge him something if i use my snowblower and if i use my truck to take around the bags of ice melt and spread it on the walkways.

I think i should get paid something for standby? Not always do i get called. Sometimes when we get a light snow and the guy doing the parking lot he does it by himself and i don't get called. The drive is 20 Min's from (1 way) my house and i am sure you know that i get called at all times of the night.

That is a inconvenience to me being woken up just for 3 hours sometimes. I was looking to maybe jump into the loader or the plow truck this year but regardless i still should get something for waiting for snow ?

The amount that has been suggested to me ( from a friend who used to work there with me) was $500 / month Canadian for stndby, $20 hr for when i work Canadian.

I don't want to be greedy i know he makes good $$$ of that contract so i figure i should get more then 15hr i am just not sure of the standby rate. should i charge $500 month standby and include the use of my truck and or snowblower when i need to bring it that sounds fair to me i think? :confused:

2. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

First i have one question for you is the deer that you use for work yours or his? if its his then the $15 isn't too outrageous considering he is the one responsible for all reg maintenance, repairs, gas, insurance, and other expenses that go along with owning a piece of equipment. you already stated you charge him more if you use your equipment which is understandable because at that point you have the above stated responsibles. as for waiting for snow... it comes with the territory i don't know of too many places that would like to get into that deal especially because say your on standby for the month of DEC. and you get no snow. he would be blowing $500 for no reason. also if he sometimes does it himself at times he may for not wanting to spend that $500 start doing it all by himself all the time and or he might decide to seek another employee who he doesn't have to pay a retainer too. In no way am i advocating paying an employee poorly but making money is the name of the game and the fact that your not called every time means that he wants to save money on labor time when he feels its not needed. also one other thing you said about making the deal that for the $500 you would provide use of the snowblower and your truck. one thing to consider is if a deal like that is struck I'm almost positive he would hold you to having that equipment on site and able to be used at any given time where you run into the problem is say your snowblower breaks one night when your out. it wasn't able to be fixed before the next snowfall/or you weren't able to get a new one before you were needed back at the site. now you have issues with him paying you for use of equipment that you couldn't provide. but thats just my thoughts on the subject.

3. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

The deere is his, he leases it for the winter. I think i will then ask for a miniumum for when its light and i sepnd 2 hrs there $30 isnt worth getting out of bed for and my fuel to get there.

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Grassman,
    I would tell him that since you have to drive that far, you would like a full tank of gas.
    I would.:waving:

5. Radguy

Radguy Member

$30.00 for 2 hours and 40 minutes(travel time). Plus time to get ready. So let's say 3 hours. Plus the $2-$3 in gas to get there and back so now it's $27.00 for 3 hours.

That's only $9.00 an hour. Nope no deal:nono:

6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Good figuring Radguy!:waving:

I wouldn't even answer the phone for that price!:bluebounc

7. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

Thanks guys..

The drive isnt that far. I just feel that if i get called sometimes for small ***** i should always get called for it. I also think its only fair to pay me a minimum of 4 hours + gas. City guys get paid for a full day if they get called at home or have to go out for an hour or what have you.. I wonder why it took the city so long to re pave my street... I think i just gave my self the answear :D

I do however use gas for when i drive around the building applying ice melt not much again. I dont want to be gready i just want what is fair, we never have sat down and talked about. I will skip my full time job to go out and do sidewalks at the building for him..