1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk machine options

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

I've read through the older sidewalk machine posts to try and answer this question, but I figured I would just start another thread instead?

I need a machine that can do 48" sidewalks. Must be a heated cab, can make tight turns, and fast traveling from site to site. Power broom and snow blower capable. Any suggestions?
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Ventrac or Toro Polar Trac seem to be popular. We run older Toro Groundsmasters
  3. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

I could never justify the price tag for my small company and small snowfall totals, but I've heard nothing but good about the Ventrac.
  4. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Trackless, Bombi, Toro, JD, ventrac, toolcat, By these treads that I been reading the Ventrac (hope I spelled that right) are the machine to own. I heard they do a excellent job and not to many complaints about parts and breakdowns.

I had a trackless its articulated and I did not like it. I have a bombie now not really thrilled with that. JD 1420 1430 I have heard good things about. Even something with 52'' would work with not to much damage. If its not a blower a rubber edge is good. Being in Canada, You familiar with the Trackless and Bombie? If its double wheel chair ramps you don't need anything that turns on a dime.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Define fast.
  6. FredG

Good ? I know the groundsmasters don't have good road speed don't know about the ventrac or JD. I do no the Trackless and the bombi will haul ass, Meaning around 27MPH
  7. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

I looked at a Ventrac earlier this year. I don't remember which one, I think the one with a kabota engine, anyway, I think the sales guy said at or just above 10mph.
  8. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

the 48" is the big kicker--I m subscribed here. We have a solution for this year but lacking a "cab"
  9. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

Jd x720

I have a JD X720 with a cab and heater. I have a 60" broom and a 54" blower.

it won't do 27 mph. I believe ( but haven't tried) that you can adjust your forward/reverse speeds on the hydro. The faster you set the forward the slower you go in reverse.

Depending how it's used, you can't blow deep snow at 8 mph,but if you are running forward all day on long sidewalks you don't need speed in reverse.

If on the other hand you are blowing driveways all day long, then you want to be able to back up faster to get your next cut, so you adjust it the other way.

I think it's about 8-9 mph wfo.

But you could find this set up for under $15,000, in decent used shape. Not cheap, but not $40,000 either like a 3720.
  10. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

how many horsepower in that X series? all wheel steer?
  11. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

2 guys, 2 snowblowers and a pickup truck.

2 guys can unload a truck without ramps in about 3 minutes, one pass down and back, reload the truck and on to the next one.
  12. A&J Landscaping

A&J Landscaping Senior Member

We just ordered a new ventrac its 40 inches wide and we got it with the Kubota diesel a full cab heat snow blower broom and drop spreader. They are not cheap costing us $36,000 but what is these days it looks like a solid little unit. I will be sure to post a review after the first snow fall.
  13. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

On that Ventrac how wide is the blower---I thought the narrow blower they had was 54"?
  14. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

26 hp liquid cooled kawasaki twin efi

not AWS, that's a 724, 728 is 4x4, 729 AWS and 4x4, but the prices go up on those too

I have a 425 that is AWS , that has a 47" blower, the attachments all fit either hitch but the 425 may be under powered for the larger sizes.

they go up to 759, in the same pattern, bigger engines, bigger tires, etc.

here's where I go to comparison shop for goodies:

15. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

Travel speed is a big consideration for us. 20 mph at least. I don't want to have the guys unload a machine at each property or would just keep using walk behind snow blowers. I'm trying to break up the tasks to eliminate the most amount of manual labor as possible and shave time off their routes on larger events.

I used a quad with a plow myself a few years ago, but had to trailer site to site due to city bi-laws. It was wicked fast, but got cold on larger sites. This quad has a long frame that made it less maneuverable. As the year went on, the sites became more difficult the deeper the snow became. Heavy drifting made it very difficult to maintain a clean and straight path. Also, the potential for damage was very high. Lots of lawn scraped up where you had to push a turn around point on 45-90 degree turns of the sidewalk.

I looked into Trackless. $100k is a bit on the steep side! I could patch up a lot of sod or run the walk behinds at a snail's pace for that money!!

The ventracs look alright, but the videos don't show deep snow. And I would need a trailer to transfer from site to site.

I'll look into the JD options
  16. FredG

Why does the Trackless have to be new? I bought a clean used trackless for $6900.00 mt3. Never had any issues and if I did it looked easy to work on. It will not make sharp turns. Road speed will be no problem. Being your looking for road speed I don't think you will find anything that will make sharp turns. A bombi sa 48 has great road speed and will do 48'' walks.

I bought my bombi in Ottawa, I looked at a ton of them before I bought mine. They are plentiful in Canada. Any blower of your choice should work with a little modification. The JD Toro or ventrac that may possibly make the sharp turns will not have good road speed. I heard good things about the Holder similar to the trackless. Good Luck.
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty sure other than a Bombardier or Trackless, you're not going to find anything that narrow that goes fast enough.

Even the RTV 500 is 54" wide.
  18. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Kubota f series, 54 inches not gonna make the ground speed (only 20 kph). Our municipality uses them.
    4wd and 4w assist cabs, blades snow blowers,sweepers,mowers but turn tight.

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

A good used MT 5 Trackless is what I am looking at with a blower . Cummins engine , fast travel speed and if needed can install a 8 foot v-blade ....Thumbs Up
  20. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Avant 750, 16mph it can be had at 42.5" wide. You would need to purchase blower from someone else as their's is 52". This machine looks like it would be a great year round machine but 70k is pretty steep for my pocket